Will I have a problem when cleaning...?
Thread poster: xxxTadzio
xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
Mar 26, 2005

I'm working with Trados 5.5 FL, and have a large translation (75 pages) from which I only have to translate several parts; the rest must remain as is.
It's not a problem to translate only what the client wishes, but my question is: Will it be troublesome when I get to the cleaning step? (I don't want to fill my TM with non-translated paragraphs.) Will Workbench clean only what has been translated and leave intact the rest? Or shall any problem arise?
I'll appreciate your help.
Tadzio.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:44
English to German
+ ...
No problem Mar 26, 2005

Hi Tadzio,
When updating the TM during cleanup, Workbench will only incorporate translation units which are either new or have been changed. That doesn't apply to untranslated segments.

On a general note, if you want to be extra safe, clean up the file into an empty TM first, then export/import the TUs.

HTH, Ralf

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Are the old parts pretranslated? Mar 26, 2005

If the non-translatable parts are simple text, only perhaps in a different font colour, then its not problem. But I often get jobs, where the project manager has put the old parts als pretranslated language pairs, with sourc and target segments. This helps to maintain terminology.
In this case I clean first the document without updating of TM. Later I remove the old parts (which are marked in a different font colour) and clean up only the text which I have translated and update the TM.
Hard to tell from your posting what kind of document you refer to.
Regards
Heinrich

xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your kind help...! Mar 26, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Tadzio,
When updating the TM during cleanup, Workbench will only incorporate translation units which are either new or have been changed. That doesn't apply to untranslated segments.

On a general note, if you want to be extra safe, clean up the file into an empty TM first, then export/import the TUs.

HTH, Ralf

Hi Ralf and Heinrich,
Thank you very much for your help. Your replies make me feel more confortable and assured. I'll proceed now with the translation in Word format.
Kind regards from Mexico.
Tadzio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will I have a problem when cleaning...?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search