How transform to htm files in TagEditor?
Thread poster: Johanna Rebillon

Johanna Rebillon
Local time: 22:33
French to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2005

I got some word files to translate from a client, who specifically told me to use Tag Editor to translate them. She wants me to deliver in formats ttx and htm. Why htm? Is there some extra feature I have not discovered about Tag Editor (I am new to Trados!), and what is the smartest way to transform the word files so they are able to be translated in Tag Editor? I am LOST, I have asked the client, but I have not recieved an answer yet. I feel at the same time kind of stupid, so if some kind soul would like to help me out it would be great. Thankyou. I use Trados 6.5 Freelance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Are you sure they're *Word* files? Mar 28, 2005

Hi Johanna,
To deliver HTML files after having translated them in TagEditor, you would need HTML files to start with...

So, are these files really Word files?

You could try to save them as HTML in Word, but as Word is not an ML editor, that's not a good idea...

Best regards,
Ralf

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Wait for the client's answer Mar 28, 2005

The client's instructions make sense only for HTML files, as Ralf explained. So I suggest waiting for clarification. It's possible that the client gave you misleading instructions.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
if a .doc file has to be converted into a .htm file do as follows Mar 28, 2005

Hi! What Ralf says is right, basically word files can be saved as .htm files (microsoft attaches very fat native code) and the files get very thicki and heavy, so not a good idea. But if you have no other option but to work only along these lines, you can after finishing the translation, load the .htm (finished in word) into DreamWeaver and select the option to remove MS code. Then you will have nice thin regular .htm files that are also like real .htm file we all know. I know this is rather a way off solution to your current problem, I know of no way to process .doc files in tageditor. You source files should be .htm files.
Cheers, brandis

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could your files be Workbench RTF files? Mar 28, 2005

I got some word files to translate from a client, who specifically told me to use Tag Editor to translate them. She wants me to deliver in formats ttx and htm. Why htm? Is there some extra feature I have not discovered about Tag Editor (I am new to Trados!), and what is the smartest way to transform the word files so they are able to be translated in Tag Editor? I am LOST, I have asked the client, but I have not recieved an answer yet. I feel at the same time kind of stupid, so if some kind soul would like to help me out it would be great. Thankyou. I use Trados 6.5 Freelance.

Hi, Johanna,

As discussed in the previous posts, it is not really a normal procedure to translate Word documents by converting them to HTML and then opening them with TagEditor.

I was wondering if your documents might actually be what is called "Workbench RTF" files. These are HTML files processed to that the HTML tags are marked as internal (red) or external (grey) non-translatable text. The translatable text will normally appear in black.

If this was the case, you should be able to open your files directly with TagEditor. Have you tried?

What does the document look like when you open it in Word? Do you see only red, grey and black text? Then, it's likely that it is a Workbench RTF.

Or, on the other hand, does your document have normal formatting (i.e. bold text appears in bold, etc.) then it's a normal Word document which cannot be translated directly with TagEditor (unless you save it as HTML, which is not really reccommended, as discuss it in other posts).

Daniel

Johanna Rebillon
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, all.. Mar 28, 2005

Thank you all for your kind help. I looked at the files again, who were e-mailed to me in a zip-file, and even the zip file was named xx word files for translation. When I unzipped they were all word files. I have sent the finished job back to the client with the bid question mark: WHY HTM?? I'll see what answer I get.

Once again: THANK YOU!

/Johanna
www.almero.se

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How transform to htm files in TagEditor?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search