Unable to enter foreign chars with Alt+Code and Numeric Pad
Thread poster: Michel Mullejans

Michel Mullejans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Member (2006)
English to French
Oct 29, 2016

Hi! For years, and in all environments I have been working (even under Trados 7.5!), I have been able to enter French accented characters (e.g. é, à, ç, è, or any other "foreign" characters, such as umlauts, etc.) using a US keyboard, by holding the Alt key down and keying in a three--or more--letter code, Num Lock being activated, just as I have done in this paragraph, here above.
This allows to use any US keyboard to input foreign languages in all environments. I am certain many of you are aware of this.
I upgraded to SDL Trados Studio 2015 in March (2016), and started using it under Windows 10 a few months ago. No problem to input my French translations for some time. Then, about two months ago--an error message appeared for the first time when I was midway through a large XLIFF file and was inputting French language segments: Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'UltraToolbarsDockArea'. This only happens in Studio. This 'feature' has continued to appear to this day. Sometimes, I can start writing in a file for several minutes (15, 30 min), and it will be possible to input foreign characters in the usual manner. Then, as if some limit were suddenly reached, it is impossible to input them again, and the message appears. I can close the file, open it again, and I am allowed a few inputs, then the message pops up after a few minutes again. This is a Show Stopper, as it prevents me from writing my own language in a fairly popular CAT tool using a normal US keyboard; I live in the US, and need to access several different computers. Using a French keyboard is not an option.
I have seen posts by at least two other translators regarding this very same issue--no solution was offered to them that I have seen, or that I know of.
Solution, anyone? Has anyone else encountered this error for the same reason? (Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'UltraToolbarsDockArea'); does anyone at SDL have a constructive answer? A solution? Thanks!
Michel, Oregon, USA

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Canadian French QWERTY Oct 29, 2016

Hello Michel,

I cannot help you resolve the Studio problem but maybe you should consider installing the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard under French (Canada) input language as an option. You'll learn very quickly where the accented letters are.

Nevertheless, I hope a more savvy colleague answers your question.

Michel Mullejans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Canadian Keyboard or French keyboard, not an option Oct 29, 2016

Thank you Ekaterina! Unfortunately, installing any other keyboard than a US standard QWERTY is not a practical option... But thank you for informing me (and the readers of this forum) about the existence of Canadian QWERTY keyboards, easily allowing the input of French characters... Unfortunately, here in the US, there are no such keyboards at the customer sites where I need to go and input my "foreign" characters. I still would like to know why the newer versions of Studio balk at the use of Alt+Numeric Pad codes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to enter foreign chars with Alt+Code and Numeric Pad

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search