What does sending as "return package" mean in the context of sdlxliff files?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 10:25
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 31, 2016

Hi experts,

I have Windows 7 and Trados Studio 2015.

I received a Trados package from one of my clients and sent him the translated sdlxliff file and the TM.

The client has written as follows:

“When it comes to TRADOS files, we kindly ask for the return package (the one that has a blue icon with an arrow) for us to move with finalizing the project and processing the file.

Could you send it as a “return package”

I
... See more
Hi experts,

I have Windows 7 and Trados Studio 2015.

I received a Trados package from one of my clients and sent him the translated sdlxliff file and the TM.

The client has written as follows:

“When it comes to TRADOS files, we kindly ask for the return package (the one that has a blue icon with an arrow) for us to move with finalizing the project and processing the file.

Could you send it as a “return package”

I am unable to figure it out. Could you please help me in this respect.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Karin Rijff- Molenaar
Karin Rijff- Molenaar
Netherlands
Local time: 05:55
Member (2014)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
"Create return package" Oct 31, 2016

When in the projects view, right click on the project you want to make a return package out of, then select "create return package", select a location to store it and... voila!

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Right click Oct 31, 2016

If you right click on the project (in the project window), it should give you the option "create return package". Simply click it, select where to save the file and you're done.

It's also in the menu and the ribbon somewhere. Shouldn't be to hard to find it.

It makes the workflow for your customer a bit easier.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Oct 31, 2016

I thank you for your kind reply. When I tried to do so, I found that Create Return Package is shown in drop down menu but it is disabled. This is perhaps due to the reason that I extracted the file from the package and translated it as an independent (single) file. I should perhaps use the same TM to translate it as a project file so as to enable me to use the "Create Return Package" command.

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Regards,

Chopra

LenguaViva wrote:

When in the projects view, right click on the project you want to make a return package out of, then select "create return package", select a location to store it and... voila!

Karin Rijff- Molenaar
Karin Rijff- Molenaar
Netherlands
Member (2014)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Try to re-open the package Oct 31, 2016

Yes Chopra,

I think you'll have to re-open the package and translate it using your TM. This may imply some additional work, but I guess it is the fastest way to be able to create a return package. Good luck!

chopra_2002 wrote:

I thank you for your kind reply. When I tried to do so, I found that Create Return Package is shown in drop down menu but it is disabled. This is perhaps due to the reason that I extracted the file from the package and translated it as an independent (single) file. I should perhaps use the same TM to translate it as a project file so as to enable me to use the "Create Return Package" command.

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Regards,

Chopra

LenguaViva wrote:

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening a Trados package Oct 31, 2016

When I open a Trados Package, I get 6-7 different folders. Will I need to use "Create a project" for these folders so as to enable myself to use "Create Return Package?"

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[quote]LenguaViva wrote:

Yes Chopra,

I think you'll have to re-open the package and translate it using your TM. This may imply some additional work, but I guess it is the fastest way to be able to create a return package. Good luck!

[quote]LenguaViva wrote:

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Studio should keep track of the folder structure ... Oct 31, 2016

... so you should not need to be concerned about it being correct when you choose the project and choose "Create a return package".

Roy

Marco Solinas
Marco Solinas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Italian to English
+ ...
Create return package before you finalize the translation Oct 31, 2016

I am not certain, but I believe that you cannot create a return package after you have finalized the translation (generated the "clean" version). If you have already finalized it, create a new project (utilizing the TM that you have generated) and re-translate the file. This will not take very long, because you will have the benefit of a TM that covers all the segments. After completing the re-translation, go to the project view and do what our colleagues have suggested: right click on the proje... See more
I am not certain, but I believe that you cannot create a return package after you have finalized the translation (generated the "clean" version). If you have already finalized it, create a new project (utilizing the TM that you have generated) and re-translate the file. This will not take very long, because you will have the benefit of a TM that covers all the segments. After completing the re-translation, go to the project view and do what our colleagues have suggested: right click on the project name and click on "Create return package in the pull-down menu). I think this should do it.

Good luck
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:55
German to Turkish
+ ...
The package should be intact. Nov 1, 2016

A project package contains sdlxliff files, TMs, TBs and other relevant files if any. When you have opened the project package, you have extracted all files at one go as a proper project. Now, having finalized and/or changed the package, you cannot use the same path. And you should not open the files one by one, you have to use the package as is.

My suggestion:

1) Find the project folder of the first project. Rename the folder by adding e.g., your initials or in any othe
... See more
A project package contains sdlxliff files, TMs, TBs and other relevant files if any. When you have opened the project package, you have extracted all files at one go as a proper project. Now, having finalized and/or changed the package, you cannot use the same path. And you should not open the files one by one, you have to use the package as is.

My suggestion:

1) Find the project folder of the first project. Rename the folder by adding e.g., your initials or in any other proper way. In that project folder, go to the Translation Memory folder, rename the TM files accordingly.

2) Start Trados and on the homepage, click the "open package" button. Select the project package (the file with .sdlppx extension) and open it. It will properly extract all the files and gives you a set-up project.

3) Since you have already translated the file, go to project settings, add the previous TMs (the ones you have renamed) to the project.

4) Now you have a project with TMs containing the already translated segments. Pretranslate.

5) After you finish your work incl. QA checks etc., go back to the project settings again, and remove the extra TMs (do not remove the original ones. Remove only the TMs you have renamed and added to the project.)

6) Click on the "create return package" option as already directed above. This step will create a package bearing the same name as your project package but its extension is .sdlrpx.

7) You can safely sent this return package to your client.

Best,
Elif

[Edited at 2016-11-01 00:00 GMT]
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am really indebted to you... Nov 1, 2016

for explaining it in a detailed manner. Thanks so much for taking time to describe the step by step procedure.

Regards,

Chopra

Elif Baykara wrote:

My suggestion:

1) Find the project folder of the first project. Rename the folder by adding e.g., your initials or in any other proper way. In that project folder, go to the Translation Memory folder, rename the TM files accordingly.

2) Start Trados and on the homepage, click the "open package" button. Select the project package (the file with .sdlppx extension) and open it. It will properly extract all the files and gives you a set-up project.

3) Since you have already translated the file, go to project settings, add the previous TMs (the ones you have renamed) to the project.

4) Now you have a project with TMs containing the already translated segments. Pretranslate.

5) After you finish your work incl. QA checks etc., go back to the project settings again, and remove the extra TMs (do not remove the original ones. Remove only the TMs you have renamed and added to the project.)

6) Click on the "create return package" option as already directed above. This step will create a package bearing the same name as your project package but its extension is .sdlrpx.

7) You can safely sent this return package to your client.

Best,
Elif

[Edited at 2016-11-01 00:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does sending as "return package" mean in the context of sdlxliff files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »