In Studio 2015, why can't I edit source in the translation view?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 1, 2016

I opened a very large pdf in Studio 2015 on 47,000 words that I previously had OCR:ed in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI. But now I discovered I can't edit the source (something I really need as quite a lot of the OCR:ed text needs to be edited). Why, and what do I need to change (setting etc.) so I can edit the source for a segment in the translation view?

The OCR is really good, but there are still many segments where I need to edit the source, so I need to get the editing of source to work somehow.

It seems strange because the text is there (included in the total wordcount in Studio), so why can't I edit it then?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:04
French to German
+ ...
You first need to change the setting Nov 1, 2016

Fredrik

The capability to edit the source text is not enabled by default. If you want to edit the source, you need to go to your Project Settings, to the top level and set the checkmark for "Allow source editing".

In your case however, I suggest a better approach. As the chances are high that you need to make quite a lot of changes to the Word document resulting from the PDF conversion, it will be much faster if you make these changes in the Word document before you start translating. To do this, go to "File - Advanced Save" and click on "Save as source". This will save the source Word document. Then open this in Word an make all necessary adjustments. Once you have done this, open this fixed document for translation.

Walter

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:04
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
I agree. Nov 1, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

Fredrik

As the chances are high that you need to make quite a lot of changes to the Word document resulting from the PDF conversion, it will be much faster if you make these changes in the Word document before you start translating.

Walter

In word, you can perform most of the editing as batch operations, e.g. select all and find+ replace, or apply a format change. This would allow you to save enormous time, probably more than 60-65%.

Elif

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked after I changed the setting Nov 1, 2016

Thanks Walter, now it worked to edit the source.

What about if I begin translating now with what I have and make changes directly in the SDLXLIFF file just to get started, can I later at sections where there is much to change open the Word file and make changes there and this will be reflected in the SDLXLIFF file?

Or is the necessary procedure to make all changes in the Word file first before beginning the translation, and then I translate (and can't make any more changes in the Word file)?

xxxBarbara Dipi
France
Local time: 15:04
French to Italian
+ ...
Useful link, agree with Walter suggestion Nov 1, 2016

Hello Fredrik,

Check out this link, SDL Trados Studio 2015 official guide. It can be useful for other questions too!

http://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Trados%20Studio%20Online%20Help-v3/GUID-F94D4ECD-6DF1-4DC2-9679-4DA932FB2CC8#addHistory=true&filename=GUID-903C6626-C4A8-421D-84BE-D65EF32853B2.xml&docid=GUID-903C6626-C4A8-421D-84BE-D65EF32853B2&inner_id=&tid=&query=&scope=&resource=&toc=false&eventType=lcContent.loadDocGUID-903C6626-C4A8-421D-84BE-D65EF32853B2

For your new question, as Walter said, better to edit the word document first. Otherwise you will need to create a new project every time (at leats this is what I know!).

Barbara

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will the new Word file as source file be read the same as the PDF file? Nov 4, 2016

Just one thought I had: If I first create a project and choose the PDF file as source so that Studio creates a Word file of it when I Save as, then the next step is to edit the faulty text in this by Studio created Word file.

And then, I must create a new project (or run a batch task and add this edited Word file in my project after I have deleted the old file).

But can I be certain Studio will read this new, edited Word file like it read the PDF file?

I mean, I started with the PDF as source and got a final source file result with that.
Then, I use this edited Word file as source, will I then get the same final source file result as with the PDF?

I want to be certain, because if I begin to edit the Word file now, maybe when I add this edited Word file as a new source file it will not be read the same as the PDF (maybe other text is misread than in the PDF).

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Easier to change everything in Studio first Nov 17, 2016

I've tried now changing in the Word file, but it takes to long, keeps updating something all the time. I've changed settings in Word for re-pagination, but it keeps updating something all the time. So I think the easiest will be to make all changes in Studio first, then begin translating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In Studio 2015, why can't I edit source in the translation view?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search