Computer configuration for optimal Trados performance
Thread poster: xxxToon Theuwis
xxxToon Theuwis  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 1, 2016

Is there anyone with experience in state-of-the-art computer configurations in combination with Trados studio 2015? I'm trying to find out how a new CPU and memory would result in faster performance.

So if you buy a machine today with a killer configuration (quad-core 4,2+ GHz, 32 GB RAM, SSD, all the bells and whistles) would it seriously improve performance of Trados or is there a limit? The reason I'm asking is because I'm working with very large TM's (EU-related) and the larger the TM (talking GB's here), the longer it takes to see the results. Also, transferring a 300Mb TMX to SDLTM takes about 45 minutes. If there is a serious increase in speed, this would mean increased productivity for me.

I'm now working with a dual-core 2,6 GHz, 8GB RAM and SSD on a Mac.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:36
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
More than your computer capacity, Nov 1, 2016

focus on connection resources (wired/wireless boards, router/switches, subscription).

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Gaming PC with cheap graphics card Nov 1, 2016

Toon Theuwis wrote:
If there is a serious increase in speed, this would mean increased productivity for me.

And presumably you're running Parallels or something? I'm sure that has to hit performance.

I would look at the specs for desktop PCs optimised for gaming, then build one yourself, but without dropping £500 on the latest graphics board (you won't need that for SDL Studio - buy something cheaper).

There are lots of tutorials about, such as here. How fast it will be is anybody's guess, but you should see a decent speedup over your current system. Make sure you get a fast SSD [Edit: I suggested a Samsung Evo PRO, but you would probably want a PCIe SSD like a Samsung 950 PRO NVMe], fast memory etc..

Or just head over to the Alienware site and buy one there, but again, the problem is that you will end up paying a huge amount for a graphics card you don't really need.

Dan

[Edited at 2016-11-01 14:15 GMT]

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
SSD Nov 1, 2016

Dan,

I have 32 GB RAM since 2 years and Intel 7 cores - but it was not possible to work with the EU TM. But my new SSS disk can now manage big TM's.

Geneviève

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Crucial components are disk and RAM Nov 1, 2016

Toon

From my experience, I would say that the most critical components are the disk and the memory.

Make sure that you use a SSD (preferably a PCI-E based one and not a SATA interface-based one) and not a magnetic hard disk and that you have at least 8 GB of RAM. The processor will not be a bottleneck anymore today.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2016-11-01 19:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer configuration for optimal Trados performance

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search