Term Recognition setting to show words in compound terms singly as well as in combination?
Thread poster: JoGunn
JoGunn
Local time: 09:39
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Nov 4, 2016

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2015 Professional SR2. I seem to recall that the function I am looking for was available in a previous edition, but I may be wrong. At any rate I am unable to find it in this edition.

What I would like to be able to do is, when Term Recognition recognises a compound term containing one or more simple terms that are also in the database, for it to bring up not just the compound term, but also any simple terms within the compound that are also in the database. This would be especially useful when TR erroneously detects a compound term (as in the examples below).

Examples:
Text sample 1: "...shall submit an application for the...". Here, Term Recognition reads "application for" as "application form" and brings that up, but I would have liked to see it also bring up "application" and "form" separately.

Text sample 2: "...designated by each Member State...". Here, TR gives me "designated Member State" as a term, whereas I would have liked to see "designated" and "member state" separately.

(I realise I could probably get rid of at least the latter by setting the minimum match value higher, but then I would be losing other benefits, e.g. related terms with the same word stems).

Is there such a setting?

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 10:39
English to Polish
+ ...
No, I'm afraid Nov 4, 2016

JoGunn wrote:

I am using SDL Trados Studio 2015 Professional SR2. I seem to recall that the function I am looking for was available in a previous edition, but I may be wrong. At any rate I am unable to find it in this edition.

What I would like to be able to do is, when Term Recognition recognises a compound term containing one or more simple terms that are also in the database, for it to bring up not just the compound term, but also any simple terms within the compound that are also in the database. This would be especially useful when TR erroneously detects a compound term (as in the examples below).

Examples:
Text sample 1: "...shall submit an application for the...". Here, Term Recognition reads "application for" as "application form" and brings that up, but I would have liked to see it also bring up "application" and "form" separately.

Text sample 2: "...designated by each Member State...". Here, TR gives me "designated Member State" as a term, whereas I would have liked to see "designated" and "member state" separately.

(I realise I could probably get rid of at least the latter by setting the minimum match value higher, but then I would be losing other benefits, e.g. related terms with the same word stems).

Is there such a setting?

I'm afraid there is not. Overall, there are very few settings for terms display in the Studio. I had the same problem and it was left unsolved. Whenever Studio found a compound noun, it didn't display any single nouns that theoretically could be a match.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Available in Studio 2017 Nov 5, 2016

The setting you're looking for is not part of Studio 2015, but has been added to Studio 2017. It's called "Allow overlapping terms".

Wojciech_
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nice Nov 6, 2016

Nora Diaz wrote:

The setting you're looking for is not part of Studio 2015, but has been added to Studio 2017. It's called "Allow overlapping terms".

And that's a very good news, indeed 😊

JoGunn
Local time: 09:39
English to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Nov 7, 2016

Nora Diaz wrote:

Then I hope my workplace will update to Studio 2017 as soon as possible.

Wojciech_
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Bad news Dec 2, 2016

JoGunn wrote:

Nora Diaz wrote:

Then I hope my workplace will update to Studio 2017 as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, it seems that "overlapping terms" doesn't work, at least in my case. Shame.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term Recognition setting to show words in compound terms singly as well as in combination?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search