https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/308446-dealing_with_tags_in_trados_studio_2015.html

Dealing with tags in Trados Studio 2015
Thread poster: New Fluency (X)
New Fluency (X)
New Fluency (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:44
English to German
+ ...
Nov 5, 2016

Hello,

I am still somewhat new to Trados Studio and I am scratching my head at a problem with tags that I am currently facing.

I am translating a large ppt-Presentation for a client who sent me a Trados package. Almost every slide contains some form of bullet point numeration, sort of a to-do list.

Now, in Trados, for some reason almost every single word in every bullet point on every slide is embedded in tags, making the translation process painfully, ridi
... See more
Hello,

I am still somewhat new to Trados Studio and I am scratching my head at a problem with tags that I am currently facing.

I am translating a large ppt-Presentation for a client who sent me a Trados package. Almost every slide contains some form of bullet point numeration, sort of a to-do list.

Now, in Trados, for some reason almost every single word in every bullet point on every slide is embedded in tags, making the translation process painfully, ridiculously slow. I am currently copy-pasting the source segment (to get the tag structure right), then translating one word, hopping over the tag with the curser, translating the next word and so forth. It drives me up the wall.

So here is my questions: Is there a workaround for tag structures? Is there anything I can do to make this easier?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, you would definitely save my weekend (for starters).

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Hannes
Collapse

Somnath Dey
Somnath Dey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:14
Member (2014)
English to Bengali
+ ...
memoQ over Trados Nov 5, 2016

Hey Hannes,

That is indeed a problem and I have faced this many times which is why I like memoQ over Trados. In memoQ pressing CTRL once lines up all the TAGs into a list, you pick your desired Tag and its done.

Unfortunately, Trados doesn't have such feature. If you have memoQ, you can open the Trados project file there and it might ease your pain a little.

Else I'd suggest that you should translate the whole segment first then copy each tag to its proper
... See more
Hey Hannes,

That is indeed a problem and I have faced this many times which is why I like memoQ over Trados. In memoQ pressing CTRL once lines up all the TAGs into a list, you pick your desired Tag and its done.

Unfortunately, Trados doesn't have such feature. If you have memoQ, you can open the Trados project file there and it might ease your pain a little.

Else I'd suggest that you should translate the whole segment first then copy each tag to its proper position.

Somnath
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: duplicate
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please see Nov 5, 2016

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/
http://www.proz.com/topic/291079

You may also find a number o
... See more
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/
http://www.proz.com/topic/291079

You may also find a number of other threads at http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y - just enter, for example, "tag soup" in the search field and don't forget to tick the 'exact match' option.

P.S. Somnath: copying useless tags that are due to font or similar is just a waste of time in whatever CAT tool you do it.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Have a look at the formatting of the source document Nov 6, 2016

Hannes

Tags are supposed to represent necessary formatting. If you have that many tags as you describe, e.g. around the bullets, inside sentences, then this most probably means that your source document has been badly formatted. It may also have been through some conversion process already.

Normally, the bullets themselves should not show up at all in the Editor (unless you set the Display Filter to show "All Content").

I suggest you open the source documen
... See more
Hannes

Tags are supposed to represent necessary formatting. If you have that many tags as you describe, e.g. around the bullets, inside sentences, then this most probably means that your source document has been badly formatted. It may also have been through some conversion process already.

Normally, the bullets themselves should not show up at all in the Editor (unless you set the Display Filter to show "All Content").

I suggest you open the source document in PowerPoint and fix the odd formatting before you reopen the document in Studio. You should then have much less tags.

Walter
Collapse

New Fluency (X)
New Fluency (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 6, 2016

Thank you for your answers, at least I have been able to get to the bottom of what the problem is and should be able to sort this out somehow.

Very helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with tags in Trados Studio 2015

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »