Thread poster: Bruno Depascale

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:13
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2016

Hi everybody, as the title says, I need to find and replace many simple hyphens with non-breaking hyphens in Trados 2015.
If I simply copy and paste a non-breaking hyphen tag in the search and replace window, trados converts it (very smartly) in a normal hyphen.
Could you please inform me if there is a solution to this problem?
Thank you very much,
Bruno

Direct link Reply with quote

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just another trados bug Nov 7, 2016

I suppose this is just another problem of trados with no solution at all, like the terms added to multiterm via the studio interface that disappear after closing the application..

[Edited at 2016-11-07 19:07 GMT]

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:13
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
SDL forum Nov 7, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:
I suppose this is just another problem of trados with no solution at all

I would have thought this was possible with a regex, but my advice is to trot over to the SDL website forum, where you are more likely to get a response. Annoying, especially given the rather idiosyncratic forum software they run, but that's the best place to get an answer.

Dan

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL website forum Nov 7, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:
I suppose this is just another problem of trados with no solution at all

I would have thought this was possible with a regex, but my advice is to trot over to the SDL website forum, where you are more likely to get a response. Annoying, especially given the rather idiosyncratic forum software they run, but that's the best place to get an answer.

Dan

Thank you Dan,
I didn't even know there was a SDL website forum. I'll give it a try.
Thank you for your help!

Eva Leitner  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
Russian to German
+ ...
Replace the hyphens in Word and then create a new Trados project Nov 8, 2016

This is how I usually delete hyphens when they appear, e.g., after I have exported a pdf into rich text / Word. (By the way, my Trados does NOT have any problems with producing the final document when I ignore the hyphen tags that are in an original file and do not insert them into the translated segment).

Have you tried this variant? Trados should find the TM segments easily again, not as 100% matches, but it will find them anyway. So this should not take much time to change them in the Word file.

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
non breaking hyphens in sdlxliff files Nov 9, 2016

Eva Leitner wrote:

This is how I usually delete hyphens when they appear, e.g., after I have exported a pdf into rich text / Word. (By the way, my Trados does NOT have any problems with producing the final document when I ignore the hyphen tags that are in an original file and do not insert them into the translated segment).

Have you tried this variant? Trados should find the TM segments easily again, not as 100% matches, but it will find them anyway. So this should not take much time to change them in the Word file.

Thank you for your input Eva.
Unfortunately, in many cases I receive the trados package directly from the client, so I cannot edit any word file. I should work in that sdlxliff file, and in many cases I cannot produce a target text.
I would like to change them automatically in Trados using the search and replace function, but is seems this is not possible.
Thanks anyway!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

find and replace non breaking hyphen in trados 2015

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search