How to make the difference between a project package and a return package in Studio 2015?
Thread poster: Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
English to French
Nov 10, 2016

Hello,

I just used Studio 2015 for the first time after years on Studio 2009, 2011 and 2014.

My client first sent me a return package that I couldn't open. I requested a project package. I noticed that the icon for the return and the project package are the same: a blue icon.

Did my client made a mistake or are return packages and project packages identified with the same blue icon in Studio 2015 instead of the green icon for project packages and blue icon
... See more
Hello,

I just used Studio 2015 for the first time after years on Studio 2009, 2011 and 2014.

My client first sent me a return package that I couldn't open. I requested a project package. I noticed that the icon for the return and the project package are the same: a blue icon.

Did my client made a mistake or are return packages and project packages identified with the same blue icon in Studio 2015 instead of the green icon for project packages and blue icon for return packages in previous versions?

Thanks!
Collapse

Glyn Lloyd-Jones
Glyn Lloyd-Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
Italian to English
They are different Nov 10, 2016

Hi,

on my Studio 2015 installation, the icons are different. The project package has a green arrow pointing to the right and the return package has a green arrow pointing to the left. You can also look at the file extensions - .sdlppx is the project package and .sdlrpx is the return package (you might have to enable the option to see extensions for known file types in Windows).

Cheers,
Glyn

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:42
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Your client clearly made a mistake Nov 10, 2016

Nathalie Suteau wrote:

I am pretty certain you can't import a return package if you haven't first created a project package that the return package belongs to, so I guess the PM is quite new to Studio. So I hope she or he does the correct thing this time.

Roy

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
PM knows nothing Nov 10, 2016

The PM is based in India. She just sent me the return package from the translator to review. She works for a large company that I cannot name who usually uses its own tool - TWS

Nathalie Suteau (X)
Nathalie Suteau (X)
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Another question about the termbase window Nov 10, 2016

As long as I'm here. I couldn't find the termbase window: where is it hidden in Studio 2015.
I found that 2014 had a better, more friendly interface.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Nathalie Nov 10, 2016

In any file manager, rename the .sdlrpx file to .zip, and unzip like usually. This way you will be able to access all files in the package that has been sent to you.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
My suggestion also. Nov 10, 2016

Natalie wrote:
In any file manager, rename the .sdlrpx file to .zip, and unzip like usually. This way you will be able to access all files in the package that has been sent to you.

Yes, this is also what I would do in this instance, and then just return the sdlxliff files (zipped) but without trying to recreate the return package.
Roy

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, they have the same icon (very silly) Nov 11, 2016

Nathalie Suteau wrote:
I noticed that the icon for the return and the project package are the same: a blue icon.

Yes, the forward and return packages in WSXZ format have the same icon. When I create return packages, I always add "return" to the front of the file name to help me distinguish the two (so that I don't send the wrong one to the client by mistake).

Forward and return packages in the SDLPPX/SDLRPX format do have different icons, though (a white icon with either a green arrow or a blue arrow).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, 2015 has a bad UI design Nov 11, 2016

Nathalie Suteau wrote:
I found that 2014 had a better, more friendly interface.

Yes, unfortunately Trados 2014+ does not have a UI style that adapts to the theme of the user. The makers of Trados try to make Trados look like the version of Microsoft Office that they think most people would be using at that time. This is why Trados 2014 looks like Word 2007. Trados 2015 looks like Word 2013. The Trados 2015 design philosophy is that borders are bad (or: look bad to designers), and that users will me smart enough to distinguish overlapping elements/dialogs/menus etc even if they have no or almost no borders.

[Edited at 2016-11-11 09:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make the difference between a project package and a return package in Studio 2015?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »