How may I create a translation memory and add terms to it (without opening a project or document).
Thread poster: javierxp
javierxp
Spain
Nov 11, 2016

Hi, in my company some people use Trados and we are translating a document. I was suggested to create a Translation memory, but, without translating the document.

A TM (Translation Memory) according SDL is:
A linguistic database that captures translations as you work for future use

In SDL Trados Studio 2015, to create a translation memory without opening a document for translation, you only have to go to:

(the pannel on the left side, down)
Translation Memories
And then... going to...
New... New Translation Memory...

Now you follow the assistant, I select the language pairs (English to Spanish) and the translation memory is created.
I have the sdltm file created.

Okay.
But it is empty...

The killing question is:
How may I introduce terms to it?

I would like to introduce some legal terms with its translation to Spanish, for example:

public deed
escritura pública

So, please, could you help me, telling me how may I add terms to my translation memory in both language pairs?
This is the first time I do this, so I would be grateful if you give accurate and exact instructions, in the way of 1. Do this... 2 Do that.

Cheers

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:43
French to German
+ ...
A "Translation Memory" (TM) is meant to contain sentences not terms Nov 11, 2016

Javier

A TM is meant to store sentences while you translate and not single terms. You cannot manually add terms to a translation memory. For this, you should use a "termbase", this is a database meant to store single terms, like in a glossary and once you have created it, you can enter terms manually from MultiTerm (a separate application, which comes together with Studio) or from Studio while you translate.

I suggest you have a look at the video tutorials about MultiTerm (you'll find links to them in the Welcome screen) and then create a termbase to enter your terms.

I also strongly suggest that you either get some basic training on Studio or study the introductory tutorials to understand the basic concept behind Studio and MultiTerm before you start using it.

Walter

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure if that is possible in Trados Nov 11, 2016

javierxp wrote:
Okay.
But it is empty...
The killing question is:
How may I introduce terms to it?

1. TMs are for sentences/segments, not terms. I'm no expert at Trados, but AFAIK you need to use MultiTerm to add terms to a termbase.

2. I'm not aware of any method in Trados 2015 that allows one to manually add segments to the translation memory. In fact, I think very few CAT tools have this feature. The usual method of adding segments to a TM without translating a document at the same time, is to convert your translations to a file format that can be imported into the TM as a file.

Some CAT tools (not sure about Trados 2015) allow you to edit the source text of a file you're translating. So in those tools, you can load a dummy file that contains dummy sentences, and then change both source and target fields while "translating" that file. If you really, really want a method of adding segments to the TM by hand.

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:43
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
With a large TM, you can create an AutoSuggest dictionary Nov 11, 2016

But only if you have a large TM. It works. But I don´t know what extension it has or even where it is located.

So Javier, for a termbase, which is what you want but used the wrong name for it, use good old excel. Then, the fantastic glossary converter. It will become a termbase for Trados.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Adding terms to a termbase and to a TM Nov 11, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

AFAIK you need to use MultiTerm to add terms to a termbase.

MultiTerm needs to be installed (it comes bundled with Studio). But you can add terms to a termbase from within Studio, without opening Multiterm. Simply select the source and target terms and click Ctrl+Shift+F2.

I'm not aware of any method in Trados 2015 that allows one to manually add segments to the translation memory.

As an ad hoc method (not recommendable in the case of the OP), I simply edit any old source segment and replace it with the new source text, translate it and save it to my TM. Then I either close the sdlxliff file without saving it, or I undo the changes, to return to the original source and target in that file.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
What's a TM? Nov 11, 2016

Javier, as others have mentioned, terms are usually saved in a termbase (TB) and sentences are usually saved in a translation memory (TM).

You may like to read this beginners' post about CAT tools and translation memories:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/10/27/tm-ebook/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How may I create a translation memory and add terms to it (without opening a project or document).

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search