Thread poster: Carla Griecco

Carla Griecco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:48
Member (2004)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2016

My client sent me a project where the minimum match value is set to 40%. Something tells me I'm being ripped off. I ran analyses with min. match value set at 50% and 70%, and the difference on "no match" word count is quite impressive. How would you handle this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:48
English to Italian
+ ...
"Discounts" for Fuzzy Matches? Nov 13, 2016

Carla Griecco wrote:

My client sent me a project where the minimum match value is set to 40%. Something tells me I'm being ripped off. I ran analyses with min. match value set at 50% and 70%, and the difference on "no match" word count is quite impressive. How would you handle this?

It all depends on the "discounts" you accepted to give for the various fuzzy bands...

IMO, everything below 75% should be paid at full rate (and ideally even matches between 75 and 84%).

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:48
Member (2014)
English to German
Agree Nov 13, 2016

I can't give any discounts for matches under 75% as these matches are generally useless and/or out of context.

As I always have to delete them and this takes time, I thought of exploring whether Trados has a way of keeping the target field empty.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Yes, anything below 75% should be treated as no match Nov 13, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Carla Griecco wrote:

IMO, everything below 75% should be paid at full rate (and ideally even matches between 75 and 84%).

As far as I know this is generally accepted among agencies, so if you have the same agreement with the agency, Carla, having the min. match value set to 40% should not matter for the pricing.
Roy

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Minimum Match Value Nov 13, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I can't give any discounts for matches under 75% as these matches are generally useless and/or out of context.

As I always have to delete them and this takes time, I thought of exploring whether Trados has a way of keeping the target field empty.

Are you referring to pre-translation? If that's the case, perhaps you have a low value set here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDK/ProjectAutomationApi/4.0/html/be97c396-496b-407e-b765-9402c4b02c7b.htm

(The same setting is also found in the search settings for TM concordance search and automatic lookup: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Ref/O-T/TM/Translation_Memory_Search.htm )

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:48
English to German
+ ...
It's very wise to be careful! Nov 13, 2016

Can't recommend discounts based on fuzzy matches and repetitions
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/300004-word_count_to_apply_fuzzy_match_and_repetition_discounts.html#2535040

There's nothing fuzzy about fuzzies
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/304727-should_fuzzy_words_be_grouped_together_with_internalfuzzy_words_in_sdl_analysis.html#2573825

[Edited at 2016-11-13 17:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum match value below 50%

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search