Open xml file in Studio 2105, file empty
Thread poster: Ulrike G.

Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
Member (2006)
English to German
Nov 15, 2016

Hi everybody,

I am trying to open an xml file for translation purposes. I have not got a DTD file and I will not get one, either. I have tried opening it with a schema, I have tried opening it with rules (under file type), I have tried everything under the sun (that I found in the Internet). Whatever I do, in project view the file always has 0 words. I only get the start and end tags when I open the file.

When I look at it in an xml editor, everything is fine.

Where did I go off the track and how can I remedy it?

I was able to open the file in WordFast Pro, but it is (despite filtering) still chock full of tags and the like.

There are two types of lines in the file:

< DynamicLabel ="Move [tags] Mother" Translation="Move [tags] Mother" / >

< StaticLabel ="Father" Translation="Father" / >

Only the second instance of 'Move [tags] Mother' or 'Father' needs to be translated (i.e. everything after Translation=" without the tags for embedded content and before "), anything else may not be touched.

What also bothers me is that the parts that need to be ignored AND the parts that need to be translated are both between the same delimiters < and >.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Anja Neudert  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Any news? Mar 1, 2017

Hi Ulrike,

Did you end up finding a solution? I'm having the same problem right now.

Best,
Anja

Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not really a Solution but a Workaround Mar 1, 2017

I finally figured that there are numerous types of editors and eventually found one that only showed the text (beats me, how that works; I am only a user) and took it from there. In my case it was LanguageEditor. Copy&Paste is your friend...

Anja Neudert  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks! Mar 1, 2017

Thanks! I'll try that if the client can't come up with a schema/DTD file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open xml file in Studio 2105, file empty

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search