Giselle Zamenfeld  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:10
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 16, 2016

Hi,

I have been using SDL Trados for a very long-time now and have just now realized the existence of automated translation (or machine translation). I have been specifically asked by a client to make sure I do not use this tool (for confidentiality reasons), but I'm not quite sure if this is somehow always activated by default when you install the software. I repeat, I have never used AT in my translation projects, so I wanted to make sure if this feature is already enabled in the tool or if in order to use it I need to enable/activate it somehow. This will give me some peace-of-mind regards my client's confidentiality request, because if I have never used it, then it means I have never activated it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Giselle

Direct link Reply with quote

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:10
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
MT is not the same as automation Nov 16, 2016

Giselle Zamenfeld wrote:

Hi,

I have been using SDL Trados for a very long-time now and have just now realized the existence of automated translation (or machine translation). I have been specifically asked by a client to make sure I do not use this tool (for confidentiality reasons), but I'm not quite sure if this is somehow always activated by default when you install the software. I repeat, I have never used AT in my translation projects, so I wanted to make sure if this feature is already enabled in the tool or if in order to use it I need to enable/activate it somehow. This will give me some peace-of-mind regards my client's confidentiality request, because if I have never used it, then it means I have never activated it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
Giselle

Automation includes making automatic use of your own TM's. The automation option under the editor has specific settings that you can choose from.

Machine translation (MT) would never be automatically enabled: you need to enter your api string/ID from either SDL BeGlobal or Google Translate. You do this where you add TM's (the Add dropdown) under Language Pairs. You would recognize machine-translated segments by their score in the score column: AT.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disabling automated translation in SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search