Upgraded to SDL Trados 2017 - and just lost all my user settings?
Thread poster: Tomi Dobaj

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Local time: 06:32
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2016

Hello,

I could nearly wait to do the upgrade, and I strongly presumed the settings will get picked up by the new Trados version, but they are not! How can I find them (I have not yet uninstalled Studio 2015, but I cannot use it without licence) - they are obviously not in C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\UserProfiles

This is urgent, I had a highly customized Trados profile, it would take me 2h to set it all in order..

Direct link Reply with quote

Carole Nail (Ripoll)
France
English to French
+ ...
Studio Migration Utility Nov 18, 2016

Hello,

I upgraded yesterday, and with the tool "Studio Migration Utility" from SDL, all my settings, TMs, projects, etc. were saved and integrated to this new version. The utility ask you where were located the old settings (Studio 2014 and 2015 are available) and where you want to apply them (i.e. Studio 2017)
Hope this can help you

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds great... Nov 18, 2016

... but how did you install it?

Clicking on it does not seem to work, since it just closes..?

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apparently this only works with S2015 Nov 18, 2016

You installed it before deactivating the licence then?

If I had my old S2015 I would export my user profile, but now it is all too late apparently.

Thanks anyway for your reply!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to import a Studio 2015 profile into Studio 2017 Nov 18, 2016

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

If I had my old S2015 I would export my user profile, but now it is all too late apparently.

First, I don't think it's necessary to deactivate Studio 2015 before upgrading (but I'm not certain). That way, the old profile would be transferred into Studio 2017.

However, if you can't get into Studio 2015 now, you can still import that user profile from Studio 2017.
Go to File>Setup>Manage User Profiles>Change user profile>back up your current one (just in case) and then import your 2015 user profile.

By default, user profiles for Studio 2015 are stored here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4\UserProfiles

If not, search in Windows Explorer for the file by entering type:sdlprofile in the search box.

Tomi Dobaj
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Nov 18, 2016

Thank you, Emma, but - as I mentioned in my initial post - the profiles in that folders did not include my custom profile, unfortunately.

I now have spent the 2h on redoing the settings (and already discovered a bug or two), so for me this topic is resolved, although other people might encounter the same issue.

All best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgraded to SDL Trados 2017 - and just lost all my user settings?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search