Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 19, 2016

Hello everyone

I got an SDLXLIFF file from a colleague that he did not translate in Trados itself. When I tried to open the file, Trados gave me the dialog to select the language codes, but the target language field refused to respond to any of my clicking. I checked the SDLXLIFF file itself and found that the target language was set to "nl", which I assume is not a language code recognised by Trados 2015. When I changed it to "nl-NL", Trados was happy again.

target not set trados 2015

I do find it strange that Trados would not allow me to set the target language myself, if it didn't recognise it itself. Perhaps an oversight by the developers? I'd appreciate it if some of you with Trados 2015 could test this and see if you also get this behaviour if you use a non-recognised target language code (e.g. one without a country suffix) in the SDXLIFF file itself. The place to check the target language code is in "target-language=" in the very first line of the SDLXLIFF file.

Thanks
Samuel

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Simply change the language code in the SDLXLIFF file Nov 19, 2016

Samuel

I suggest you open the SDLXLIFF file in a text editor and replace the wrong language code by one that complies with the ISO code as required by Studio. Studio will then properly recognize the file.

Walter

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Nov 19, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:
I suggest you open the SDLXLIFF file in a text editor and replace the wrong language code ... Studio will then properly recognize the file.

Yes, sure, but can you confirm that Trados 2015 does not throw a helpful error message when you try to open a file with a non-recognised language code but simply freezes the dropdown list?

Walter Blaser wrote:
...replace the wrong language code by one that complies with the ISO code as required by Studio.

Actually, "NL" is the ISO 639-1 language code for Dutch.

According to the XLIFF 1.2 standard (which is used by SDLXLIF files), XLIFF 1.2 uses the RFC 4646 language code format, and RFC 4646 states (on page 12) that region subtags are optional. So really, Trados should accept "NL". Unfortunately http://sdl.com/FileTypes/SdlXliff/1.0 is a 404.

[Edited at 2016-11-19 11:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2015: what happens with non-recognised language codes in SDLXLIFF files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »