Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 22, 2016

Hello everyone

I'm editing an SDLXLIFF file in Trados 2015 file and I'm using tracked changes, but often I also want to leave a comment. However, many times, the "Add comment" option is greyed out on the context menu (and on the ribbon as well). Sometimes it eventually comes up after I right-clicked in several locations, while selecting text or while not selecting text, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to its behaviour. Sometimes the option to leave a comment is there, so
... See more
Hello everyone

I'm editing an SDLXLIFF file in Trados 2015 file and I'm using tracked changes, but often I also want to leave a comment. However, many times, the "Add comment" option is greyed out on the context menu (and on the ribbon as well). Sometimes it eventually comes up after I right-clicked in several locations, while selecting text or while not selecting text, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to its behaviour. Sometimes the option to leave a comment is there, sometimes it is there after you've clicked in a couple of places first, and sometimes it is simply not there.

So, how can I force the "Add comment" option to be available?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:54
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Location of cursor Nov 22, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

I'm editing an SDLXLIFF file in Trados 2015 file and I'm using tracked changes, but often I also want to leave a comment. However, many times, the "Add comment" option is greyed out on the context menu (and on the ribbon as well). Sometimes it eventually comes up after I right-clicked in several locations, while selecting text or while not selecting text, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to its behaviour. Sometimes the option to leave a comment is there, sometimes it is there after you've clicked in a couple of places first, and sometimes it is simply not there.

So, how can I force the "Add comment" option to be available?

Thanks
Samuel

I see this too, Samuel. I am not sure there is a way to force a comment. If I can't place the cursor anywhere in the segment where the note option becomes active, I found that I need to add the comment before I make any corrections. There seems to be some conflict between the two. Sometimes my kb shortcut for adding a note doesn't work either. It might have to do with cursor focus, I am not sure.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty
Antonia Toth
Antonia Toth  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
the same problem Dec 11, 2016

Dear Samuel,

Did you find a solution to this problem? On my new laptop I have the same situation also with Trados 2014...

Thank you in advance.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Basically... Dec 11, 2016

Antonia Toth wrote:
Did you find a solution to this problem? On my new laptop I have the same situation also with Trados 2014...

Essentially, you often can't ever add a comment if there are tracked changes in a segment. So you must add the comment before changing the segment. If the segment already has changes, first say a prayer, then memorise the changes, then reject all changes in that segment, then try to visualise the changes again to make sure you don't forget them, then add the comment, and then add the changes again, and pray one last time that you had remembered the changes correctly.

Antonia Toth
Antonia Toth  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you. Dec 11, 2016

But I am wondering why this feature worked so smoothly on my old laptop (for Trados 2014) and with Trados 2015 doesn't work at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to force "Add comment" option to be available, Trados 2015

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »