Thread poster: Willa95

Willa95
France
Local time: 14:13
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nov 24, 2016

Hello,

I am translating a package with Trados Studio 2015 for the first time. The package contains 2 documents. I've finished the first one (100%). When I open the second document, the TM does not recognize any term translated before in the first document. My name does not appear in the TM. Is this normal? Does it have to do with the fact that when I close the first document (100%), it has "0%" status with "Relecture" status?
All this is new for me.

Thank you for your help
Please do not hesitate to anwer in French too.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxToon Theuwis  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Create a translation memory Nov 24, 2016

Hi Willa95,

I'd advise you to create a TM before you start working on a new project. You should do the following before you start translating:

- Go to you project settings and under 'language pairs', go to 'translation memory' and create a new one. Give it a name (e.g. ProjectTM) and a location. Make sure you enable 'update' afterwards so that new segments are added each time you confirm it while translating.
- There is a setting (under 'options' I believe, where you can choose to "update TM when moving to the next segment'. I always enable that just in case something goes wrong, you always have a backup of you translated segments.

In your case, given the fact you've already translated one document, I'd advise you to create new TM in the TM view window. In short it comes down to this: create a new TM in the TM view window, then select 'import' and browse to your sdlxliff file you say you've just translated. This should import your translation into a TM, making is available for use in other documents or projects. But to do that, you first need to go to project settings and under 'language pairs', go to 'translation memory' and now "ADD" the TM you've just created. Now your previous translations should be available in the project.

There is a lot to discover in this software. I'd recommend a tutorial like the one by Mats Linder (http://tradosstudiomanual.com)

Good luck

Willa95
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Nov 24, 2016

Thank you very much Toon. I've just created a new TM and it worked! Let's hope I won't have anymore problems now!

Have a nice evening

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A package of two documents

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search