Thread poster: Jan Willem van Dormolen

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 25, 2016

A tip for those who've started with Studio 2017:
One of my favourite new options is the possibility to merge segments across hard returns.
However: when you receive a package from someone who doesn't have the latest version, this option is disabled by default AND greyed out, so you can't switch it on!
But here's your friendly wizz-colleague to the rescue:
Open the project file (.sdlproj) with a text editor, search for the word "merge", in that line, change the word "False" into "True", save the file and hey presto, merging across hard returns is enabled again.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Please be careful with this... Nov 25, 2016

... it might be there is a very good reason for disabling this option because of the effect this can have on target files. So I would recommend making sure you understand the impact this could have for your client before you undo a setting that might have been put there deliberately.

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2016/11/21/bridging-the-divide-merging-segments/

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried it... Nov 25, 2016

I understand, but I did try it out. The resulting return package presented no problems for my client. So I believe this is sound.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It's not the package that's the potential problem... Nov 25, 2016

... it's the resultant target file. If you checked that's fine, I just wanted to make sure others don't do this without understanding why their client might not want them to merge across paragraph breaks. It doesn't always make sense even if linguistically it seems beneficial. So if they deliberately disabled this feature by hacking it without checking it might be the cause of a problem between them and their client.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I understand Nov 25, 2016

I read the article now, and I agree that care should be excercised with this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging across segments with packages from earlier versions of Studio

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search