SDL Trados Studio 2017 bug: crashes on undocking, hibernation
Thread poster: Aleksandrs Vališevskis

Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Local time: 19:08
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 25, 2016

Hello!

I have a persistent problem with SDL Trados Studio 2017 - it crashes on undocking or after the computer is awakened from hibernation. I guess once it crashed even right after a segment was confirmed (without saving it into the TM). Haven't had this kind of problems with Studio 2015 or any previous version. I am using a Dell Latitude E6520 running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and all the latest updates seem to be installed.

I have just crashed it on purpose, so that I can post the error message. So here it is:
An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in SDLTradosStudio.exe [5392].

Just FYI, it didn't crash when no project was open, it crashed only when there was an active project in Editor.

Hope there will be a patch soon!

Thanks in advance for solving this issue,

Aleksandrs

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 18:08
Italian to German
+ ...
Don't use Hibernate Nov 25, 2016

For the undocking, I don't know, but for hibernation: I would not do this with Trados Studio, the data size used in RAM must be inferior to the Windows hibernation file size, and I don't think there is a way to set this in Windows. And even so, most of such intensive programs will show flaws on wake-up, not working as intended anymore. This is a way to corrupt your project...A no-go for me.
Just log-off normally.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-25 21:29 GMT]

Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't be afraid of hibernation Nov 25, 2016

Thanks for your input. The hibernation file size can be modified to anywhere from 50% to 100% of your RAM size (the default is at 75% I assume). And with a SSD drive it is a very convenient feature. Never had any problems with it (but I certainly agree that you must reboot your computer at least once in a couple of days otherwise you will drown in garbage). Studio usually takes less than 10% of 8Gb RAM even with bigger projects. So I guess I am not giving up my habits due to a software bug and the ball is now in SDL's court to fix it

Cheers,

Aleksandrs

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 18:08
Italian to German
+ ...
agreed about possible bug Nov 26, 2016

I agree with you about a possible software bug that may cause your trouble. I hope SDL will intervene here for you. Else take a look in the new/old SDL knowledgebase.
About Undocked windows: In the Studio 201x versions I used to have my Termbase Recognition window undocked and enlarged to show me the entries more easily. I know that Studio 2015 will not 'remember' the initial window size when starting the program, also all undocked windows will only show once you start moving the main window, or if you hide+show it. but I don't know if this relates to your problem. These are things that need correction.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-26 12:36 GMT]

Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New symptoms Nov 30, 2016

Just a small update - Studio 2017 on my PC crashes frequently not only after hibernation/undocking, but after awakening from sleep mode as well. I am curious whether this has something to do with my system/configuration of whether it affects more users? Is SDL aware of these issues?

Thanks,

Aleksandrs

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 bug: crashes on undocking, hibernation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search