Can I align previous originals/translations in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2016

Well, that's the question in a nutshell. I ditched my Trados 2007 with WinAlign and all that a few years ago because I never used Workbench or any of that anymore, and now I want to create a TM from a past original and past translation of a document. Can I do that?

Thanks!

Mervyn

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Nov 26, 2016

I believe that Studio 2011 comes with an aligner. It's not very good though. The general consensus on it can be summed up as "It's crap". I would use a third party aligner. There are a few, both free and paid, both online services and offline programs. Search the forum for opinions on the subject.

[Edited at 2016-11-26 12:41 GMT]

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
It should still be there Nov 26, 2016

Hi Mervyn,

When you install any of the Studio versions it still installs WinAlign. You will find it under "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\WinAlign.exe". It is still available from the Studio 2011 UI, it is the tenth button from the left on the tool-bar. But it is exactly the same alignment tool that was in 2007.

Consider using one of the free aligners that are available.

Ben

[Edited at 2016-11-26 16:27 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Nov 26, 2016

... very much, Andras and Ben. I've had a good hunt around, and the Studio 2011 built-in app isn't very good, as mentioned. WinAlign asks for a code as it's in demo mode and other stuff, but really I'm too busy at the moment to bother with it all, so have left it for a calmer moment.

Mervyn

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You never used, you believe... but you can jugde it? Nov 27, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

I believe that Studio 2011 comes with an aligner. It's not very good though. The general consensus on it can be summed up as "It's crap".

I use it and it is quite good indeed! It will only take you a couple of minutes.

There's a good video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAyAcdjZZg4

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Clarisa Nov 27, 2016

Actually, I had another look, and it's not so much that Studio 2011 doesn't have the feature. It does, but it's kind of hidden on the top bar in the Home pane - it's just the old WinAlign feature of Trados 2007. As Ben says, if you have Studio, you also have Trados 2007, even though it's not apparent. What I didn't know, and saw in the video you linked, was that before you actually start to align you can change the export format to tmx. So that was useful - I'd always done it to txt before, as that was the Workbench format, but it was years ago and I didn't think about changing it.

Not so usefully, Studio has now frozen when completing the tmx export, but hopefully that's just a blip.

[Edited at 2016-11-27 11:02 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a blip ... Nov 27, 2016

... and now it's worked.

For anybody else, then, to sum up: you go to the Home pane in Studio, on the far right of the top bar there's a little arrow. When you land on it, it shows Toolbar Options (mine's in Spanish, so I suppose that's the English), and one of those is "Align translated documents", which is the old WinAlign.

As for how to work WinAlign if you've never done it before, that's another story. Let's just say it's an obvious case of "RTFM" - and, to my shame, I should have done an RTFM myself before asking about the Studio alignment feature - or you can watch the video Clarisa mentions. However, as far as I could make out, the chap in the video didn't seem to be explaining the dual-segment disconnections/reconnections too clearly, although I switched it off once I'd learnt how to change to tmx.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2016-11-27 11:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-27 11:09 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Nov 27, 2016

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

it is quite good indeed!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's as good ... Nov 27, 2016

... as the original WinAlign was, Andras. Clunky, but Trados 2007 was always a clunky affair. Maybe SDL will throw in an update of all the segment-connecting stuff, or maybe they have already - I'm still at Studio 2011, and 2017's just come out - but I doubt it somehow.

Mervyn

[Edited at 2016-11-27 20:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I align previous originals/translations in Studio 2011?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search