Urgent! Studio 2017 project disappeard
Thread poster: Maria Trepp

Maria Trepp  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:53
Member (2012)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nov 28, 2016

I just can't believe it: after installing Studio 2017 and working with a project for 3 hours, the whole project just disappeard from the list and is gone. Unbelievable. I had saved it and then closed the project (intended to work on another project), and then closed Studio. After opening Studio again, I first got a message that the Dependency file was not found, and when I closed and opened Studio again: nothing. Everything gone. Project list empty, project directory empty. TM not updated.

I have worked with Studio 2011, 2014, 2015 without problems. I am stunned.
Probably nothing to do, start all over again, make back-up every half hour.

I had this time not prepard with project TM like I used to do with Studio 2015. That probably was a mistake.

Added: I see now that there is an Autosave-Folder in the Studio 2015 -Folder with today's date! The files in the folder are old, though.

The Autosave-Folder in the 2017 -Folder is from 2 days ago...

Do not understand this.
Termbases have been updated ok by the way.

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Simply re-open the project Nov 28, 2016

In Studio, go to File - Open - Open project, and go to the location at the hard disk where your project was created. Choose the .sdlproj to open your project.

The "Dependency file was not found" means that in the meantime some temporary file related to your project has been removed (by whatever reason).

HTH,
Natalia

Member (2012)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried that... Nov 28, 2016

Thank you Natalie, I did that, but there are no projects in the folder anymore. All has been deleted.
I made a new project to start over again. I see that the project TM is now updating.
But if the whole project folder disappeares again?? Well, I will make lots of back-ups.
[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:40 GMT]

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Then Nov 28, 2016

you should make a search for the files in this project: projects do not disappear from your hard disk, they may disappear for the list in Studio only. Which means that your project is still there but in some other location, and not where you are looking for it.

Natalia

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Windows recovery if everything fails Nov 28, 2016

Hi Maria,
did you migrate from another Trados version and have still the old version installed? That's generally asking for trouble because the xml files for settings etc. could get messed up if 2 versions use the same project or such things.
If I had 2 Trados versions on my computer I would first copy the whole "Trados Studio 20xx" folder in Documents so that every version has its own one. Maybe more Trados versions had access to your project which then got messed-up.

Good news: like my title says, go to your project folder, right-click and select Properties > Older Version and try to recover your project by copying back the files somewhere on your hard disk. I hope this works for you! Else, use one of the Windows earlier Restore Points and hope for the best...A good file recovery tool can also help.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-28 10:46 GMT]

Member (2012)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot!! Solved! Nov 28, 2016

Natalie, wonderful! I searched for the project and it appears it was saved in the 2015 folder. Everything is back! Yes!! And now: ALWAYS MAKE BACK-UPS AT LEAST ONCE PER HOUR!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It happens that one saves the project in a wrong folder Nov 28, 2016

Studio often suggests as default an old location. If I don't look the project could be in a folder from a customer I worked for last month or so. But nothing ever really disappears, and I never back up (well, once or twice a year I copy all to a second disc).

Member (2012)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 28, 2016

Thanks, Heinricht, this is exactly what happened, although I can not reconstruct it fully.
I had started with Studio 2017, all worked fine, I gave the location for the new TMs, made new project templates- but I did not pay attention to the default location, which obviously was Studio 2015. I cannot really understand this, anyhow, now I know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent! Studio 2017 project disappeard

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search