https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/309409-sdl_trados_studio_2011_error_message.html

SDL Trados Studio 2011 - Error message
Thread poster: Claudia Hoffmann
Claudia Hoffmann
Claudia Hoffmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:19
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 30, 2016

Hi everybody,

I would really appreciate some help with SDL Trados, I am having Studio 2011.

I have imported files yesterday and edited them and everything worked fine.
Today I wanted to continue my task and the system generates the message
THE FILE TYPE IS NOT SUPPORTED and I cant load my document, it is a single document only.

Can the error be solved by de-installing Trados and installing it new?
Or are there any other ways to solv
... See more
Hi everybody,

I would really appreciate some help with SDL Trados, I am having Studio 2011.

I have imported files yesterday and edited them and everything worked fine.
Today I wanted to continue my task and the system generates the message
THE FILE TYPE IS NOT SUPPORTED and I cant load my document, it is a single document only.

Can the error be solved by de-installing Trados and installing it new?
Or are there any other ways to solve that problem?

Could somebody help please, I really appreciate it very much.

Kind regards,

Claudia.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
What file type? Nov 30, 2016

The problem could exactly be as stated in the error message. Studio can handle a lot of different file types, but in rare cases you have to chose them manually when creating a project, or in any case make sure that the file type for the batch task "Prepare" is the right one. You can see the file type prepared in the 'Files' main section (one of the last columns, "File Type Identifier").
Else your file type may just not be supported. For example, a tmx file cannot - a pitty - be imported (
... See more
The problem could exactly be as stated in the error message. Studio can handle a lot of different file types, but in rare cases you have to chose them manually when creating a project, or in any case make sure that the file type for the batch task "Prepare" is the right one. You can see the file type prepared in the 'Files' main section (one of the last columns, "File Type Identifier").
Else your file type may just not be supported. For example, a tmx file cannot - a pitty - be imported (in this case use a TM manager to extract the source segments and pretranslate with an imported TM using the same tmx file). If all fails ask your client to send you the work in another file format or try opening the file with MS-Office and save it separately in a format that Trados can handle.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-30 15:07 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Hoffmann
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sdlxliff files Nov 30, 2016

Hi Mike,

My files are sdlxliff files.

If I reinstall my Trados should it work again?
What do you think?

Kind regards,

Claudia

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Not necessary, there must be another simple solution Nov 30, 2016

I think such a dance is not necessary.

[EDIT]
Where do these files come from, are they part of a project you have created before, has the project creation failed? In this last case, repeat the project creation and make sure this file type (first in the list) is chosen. You may have to change the options if it's more than 20 MB by moving the slider to the right or disabling the check box above.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-30 15:29 GMT]

Claudia Hoffmann
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Single sdlxliff files Nov 30, 2016

Hi Mike,

The files are sdlxliff files and have been sent by the customer.
I saved yesterday's files into the folder I have created for that specific client. I could work with them very well. No issues.

Today the client sent another batch of the same files and for whichever reason it does not work to edit them.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
What happens when you create the project? Nov 30, 2016

Claudia,
what happens when you create a project and chose these files, will the error come at the end when creating the project?
Create a new DEFAULT project; when it comes to Add Files, add your files and check in the column that the right file type (SDL XLIFF) is displayed.
You should be able to terminate the project creation successfully and then open the *target* language file for working in the editor. If not a SDL representative will have to answer you here.

... See more
Claudia,
what happens when you create a project and chose these files, will the error come at the end when creating the project?
Create a new DEFAULT project; when it comes to Add Files, add your files and check in the column that the right file type (SDL XLIFF) is displayed.
You should be able to terminate the project creation successfully and then open the *target* language file for working in the editor. If not a SDL representative will have to answer you here.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-30 16:29 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Hoffmann
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error Message Nov 30, 2016

Hi Mike,

The message already appears when I want to open a file.
I think I really must refer to a SDL representative.
I appreciate your help and your time very much Mike.

Regards,
Claudia

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Corrupted file? Nov 30, 2016

An sdlxliff should open in 2011. The only thing I can think of is that your client sent you a corrupted file (different language combination????)

Sorry, can't help you any further.

Claudia Hoffmann
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English-German files Dec 1, 2016

Hi Robert,
The client sent English-German files, same like she did before.
Anyway, thanks very much for your response, I really appreciate it.
Regards,
Claudia.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
You can check a possible corruption of the file(s) Dec 1, 2016

Claudia,
The SDL Appstore (OpenExchange) has free and paid tools available to work with Trados. One of these tools may be included in Studio 2011, it's called "SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office".
I recommend to try converting your files to MS-Word with this tool; if this works, it's a prove that your files are not corrupted and you would have something to work with at least.
Take a look in the Welcome page of Trados: On the left there is a "Aps Store Apps" window listin
... See more
Claudia,
The SDL Appstore (OpenExchange) has free and paid tools available to work with Trados. One of these tools may be included in Studio 2011, it's called "SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office".
I recommend to try converting your files to MS-Word with this tool; if this works, it's a prove that your files are not corrupted and you would have something to work with at least.
Take a look in the Welcome page of Trados: On the left there is a "Aps Store Apps" window listing additional tools which come with your Trados version. If the above tool is not listed you will have to download it for free from the SDL Appstore (use the link in the window). You may have to click on the right arrow slider in the main Trados window to make the AppStore window visible.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-01 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Hoffmann
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error Message Dec 1, 2016

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for all your support.
I do have a Word copy of the sdlxliff files, but I am curious now to find out what is the problem with the Trados.
So far I figured out that sdlxliff files are not supported.
It shows me only an earlier version, sdlpft.settings......
I have already contacted a SDL representative.
Let's hope he can help me.

Thanks so much Mike, I appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 - Error message

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »