Would you advise a fellow translator to upgrade to Trados Studio 2017 from 2014 or 2015?
Thread poster: Cristina Lo Bianco

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:00
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 3, 2016

HI,

I would be grateful if you could answer the question in the topic subject as in a quick poll:

1 Yes, definitely
2 Yes, probably
3 Maybe
4 No, probably
5 No, definitely
6 Other

I'm also interested in your detailed answer, but I would really appreciate having some statistics of the problem.

Actually, I think it would be nice if we were able to post forum-specific quick polls in ProZ.

Thanks in advance,
Cristina

Direct link Reply with quote

Jadwiga Ruchlewska MA MITI MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
Portuguese to Polish
+ ...
yes, definitely! Dec 3, 2016

Hi Cristina - I have recently upgraded from Studio 2015 and I am thoroughly enjoying the new features of Studio 2017. I definitely do not look back! I really enjoy the fragment match feature and the right click/drag-and-drop to start - I find these a really, really helpful improvement!

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
3. Maybe Dec 3, 2016

A different tool is my favourite, and I mainly use Studio to check that there is no problem with the files when I return them. I, therefore, prefer not to fork out hundreds of euro for an upgrade.

I probably will upgrade when 2019 comes instead, I think.

Roy

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
3. Maybe... Dec 3, 2016

Hello,
I have been testing the 2017 version for a week now and I am happy about the new features (see sticky post to learn more about).

To your question I say 3. Maybe...It depends how much you need to check the context for smaller expressions in your translation. For example, at the end of my project there was a long list of spare parts to be translated, few words in a segment and a lot to check about the right context as for the exact subject and domain. Here the new Fuzzy Fragment feature is very handy, it displays not only occurences in your TM but also the context and the convenience to immediately add it to your Termbases if not added already.
The Repair feature would be more useful if done during pre-translation which is not the case at the moment, but my research in other competent blogs shows that this is going to happen (I hope soon!).

So if you are in that case, I would strongly say: yes do upgrade. If you have more simple text to translate where you can voice-over the most part and do the 'fine' work afterwards by filling the blanks, I would say: No, it's enough to keep Studio 2014, 2015.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-03 21:21 GMT]

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:00
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
3) Maybe for 2015 -> 2017 | 2) Probably for 2014 -> 2017 Dec 3, 2016

I am seeing a number of small but useful changes in 2017 over 2015, so given that I paid "early bird" 120 euro pricing to upgrade it has been worth it. If you are using 2014 I would probably go for it as there are a number of improvements.

Dan

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Dec 4, 2016

1) Yes, definitely.

Why? Computes, operating systems, office applications, etc. are being upgraded everyday, and I need an upgraded CAT tool. I vote for upgrading all my CAT tools.

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Option 6 and 7 Dec 4, 2016

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:

HI,

I would be grateful if you could answer the question in the topic subject as in a quick poll:

1 Yes, definitely
2 Yes, probably
3 Maybe
4 No, probably
5 No, definitely
6 Other

7 Not yet

Reason: Wait, until they have sorted out all the bugs with their "early birds" ...
And then: Option 6 (Other) and only, when absolutely necessary. Presupposition: My friends normally process sdlxliff files in Deja Vu X3 and use Studio only because they were forced to, in order to receive Studio jobs at all.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Dec 4, 2016

These are the reasons I would upgrade a CAT or TEnT tool:

1) A new operating system (from Windows 7 to Windows 10, for example)
2) Improved or more robust features (for example, to handle InDesign or AutoCAD files)

The incremental features I've seen from 2014 (my current version) to the announced features for the 2017 version do not justify the upgrade for me. Déjà Vu has been offering:

upLIFT Fragment Recall: Déjà Vu has offered fragment repair since version X2, I believe.
upLIFT Fuzzy Repair: same as above.

I recently received a student license of memoQ (I'm a doctoral student), and I've started checking its features. In some respects, memoQ is giving the big guys a run for their money.

Obviously, the best advice is do not upgrade any piece of software for its own sake.

Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Dec 19, 2016

...for all your answers.

Cristina

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
2 & 3 Dec 19, 2016

Just finished the 1st two projects using Studio 2017.
The software is more complex than 2015, and it will take a while to use its full potential, but I already love it, it is a real step ahead. My productivity increased dramatically (ok, I am working in a very narrow field). Uplift makes a real difference.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you advise a fellow translator to upgrade to Trados Studio 2017 from 2014 or 2015?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search