Thread poster: Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:17
English to Russian
Dec 4, 2016

Hi folks,

I would like to know if I can somehow see or generate a breakdown of work performed by translators (by user ID’s).
Say I have a project consisting of 52 files. Total 75000 words.
I publish a shared project so that 4 translators can work on it simultaneously.
Files have many repetitions. When Translator1 finishes a segment, it may instantly appear translated (by propagation) in Translator4’s portion. Also, once Translator2 finishes his/her portion he/s
... See more
Hi folks,

I would like to know if I can somehow see or generate a breakdown of work performed by translators (by user ID’s).
Say I have a project consisting of 52 files. Total 75000 words.
Files have many repetitions. When Translator1 finishes a segment, it may instantly appear translated (by propagation) in Translator4’s portion. Also, once Translator2 finishes his/her portion he/she may takeover a part of translator3's portion, etc.

I wonder if there is a way to know actual contribution by each translator.
If there is no such functionality directly in Studio, maybe there is an Open Exchange application or workaround.
I would appreciate any hint.
Cheers,
S.K.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:17
French to German
+ ...
Big Brother is watching you Dec 4, 2016

Stepan

Do you really want to exercise such a constrained control on the work of your freelancers?
This reminds me of the times in the beginning of last century in US where displays in factories would show the output in pieces of each worker in real time to motivate workers to become more productive.

I thought these times are definitely gone!

Walter

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some thoughts Dec 4, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

No, to the best of my knowledge, there is no feature in Trados 2015 that allows one to see who translated what in an SDLXLIFF file. The SDLXLIFF file simply does not keep track of who translated and who edited any given segment.

The TM does keep track of this information, to a limited degree. Two fields in the TM are "created by" and "modified by", but I haven't been able to test if these fields actually do what they seem to do. In either case, even if the "created by" field reliably indicates who created the segment, you can only see who was the last person to have edited the segment.

I was unable to figure out how to filter a TM by e.g. creation ID, in Trados 2015 itself, so I guess one would have to export the TM to some other format, e.g. TMX. You can use this converter to convert the SDLTM files to TMX:
http://www.vannellen.com/fortranslators.php

I'm afraid I know nothing of shared projects, so my comments above may not be applicable.

==

Walter Blaser wrote:
Do you really want to exercise such a constrained control on the work of your freelancers?

Of course. How else would you determine how much work each translator did, so that you can pay them for how much work they did?

[Edited at 2016-12-04 18:49 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:17
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you gentlemen... Dec 5, 2016

…for your thoughts.
Actually I do not need it for continuous monitoring but rather for statistics purposes. I this particular case, I am not to weight each translator’s share to deduct money from one to another (all the more it’s about in-house translators who are equally paid based on hours). But there are so many repetitions that it is quite difficult to understand the real load distribution. When one translator spends 4 days elbow-deep in translation and stating no-match and fuzzy
... See more
…for your thoughts.
Actually I do not need it for continuous monitoring but rather for statistics purposes. I this particular case, I am not to weight each translator’s share to deduct money from one to another (all the more it’s about in-house translators who are equally paid based on hours). But there are so many repetitions that it is quite difficult to understand the real load distribution. When one translator spends 4 days elbow-deep in translation and stating no-match and fuzzy-match word count for report, the other one just waits for his work-mates to benefit from propagation and then claims the “Files” pane word count (which is actually _Total_ word count) for his report. His/her work-mates ask a question “how come”.
I know how it works and I understand the difference between total word count and non-100%/Reps word count. But I just wanted to know if there is something “illustrative” as if I wanted to explain it to a person who never heard of CAT. That’s why I posted this question here.
Thank you again for sharing your ideas.

[Edited at 2016-12-05 02:52 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work Progress by User ID's

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »