Maintaining translator identity when cleaning files
Thread poster: IanW (X)

IanW (X)
Local time: 21:45
German to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2005

Dear all,

I work with Trados 6.5.5.438 running on Windows XP.

I'm sure this is a simple question of settings, but I can't figure it out. I occasionally outsource work to a certain colleague who also works with Trados and when I clean his files, I would like to keep his name in the segments which he has translated.

If I clean the files the normal way, then the segments appear with my name, not my colleague's. Of course, a workaround would be to ask him to send me his memory as a TXT file and import that first, but if there's another more direct way, I'd love to know it.

Thanks

Ian

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Change user ID before cleanup Apr 2, 2005

Hi Ian,
You can close the TM, change the user ID (Settings - User ID) and re-open the TM; then run the cleanup. This will impact on the ChU (change user) field.

A couple of notes:
- If you use ALIGN! as a user ID, the segments gained upon cleanup will be treated as if they had been created through an alignment process (you can thus apply a penalty).

- If you want to avoid overwriting existing TUs, run the cleanup on an empty TM, and then run an export/import process (you have more control over importing, compared to cleanup).

- Don't forget to change the user ID back to yours when you have finished. (Yes, own experience...)

Cheers, Ralf

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
A good idea is also Apr 3, 2005

to send to each one of the translators involved in the job a project (wps) and a filter (wfs) setting. Later your you can also load these files by cleaning the files. This way you will obtain more information.
I think better than TXT or uncleaned files is a filtered TM export (filtered by time normally). So you can work first with these TUs and avoid to corrupt the main TM.

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-04-03 19:27]

[Edited at 2005-04-03 19:28]

IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 5, 2005

Thanks Ralf - that worked fine. And thanks to Fernando as well.

All the best

Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintaining translator identity when cleaning files

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search