Can you Align a large volume of *partially translated* ResX files?
Thread poster: francoisdebeck
francoisdebeck
Local time: 13:46
English
Dec 13, 2016

Hi

I'm a long-time visitor, first-time poster.
I use SDL Trados studio 2014

I have a large volume of ResX files that need to be aligned into a TM. Actually 2 TM's (EN-NL & EN-FR)
The problem is that these ResX files are partially translated.
(Note: The ResX are for a software program, so lots of repetition and overlap)
example of what I have:
ErrorMessages.EN.resx
ErrorMessages.FR.resx
ErrorMessages.NL.resx
I have 10365 ResX files in total, so the choice of method to use is vital with regard to the time i'm going to spend doing this...

What is the best approach in this situation?

1. Aligning first with the risk of bad TU's because of untranslated fields in the ResX
And subsequently translate the ResX using the TM I just made.

2. Go through all the ResX files and translate the untranslated fields with another tool like Zeta Resource editor.
Once everything is translated, I start aligning the files.

Option 1 is faster I think, but poses a higher risk for errors in the TM (which will need to be corrected later I guess, which takes time too)

Option 2 will yield a better TM from the start but requires a lot more time & work without the help from the TM before you can even start aligning.

What would you guys do?
Is there a better solution? Option 3?

(I searched the forum but I couldn't find the answer to my question, so just in case this is "double", apologies )

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe with the help of an advanced text editor or XML editor? Dec 13, 2016

Hi François,

I don't know much about resx files in particular, but I know that I can open XML files for example in UltraEdit where all values (non-codes) appear in red. I could achieve the same with MS-Word maybe (or transfer from UE to MS-Word where all values appear in red). I would then hide the code content (written in black) and copy-paste all remaining values in a more 'comon' file format where the values can be transformed into a table.
Once you get there it's easy: Create an Excel file and isolate all rows containing translations, or process it as bilingual Excel in Studio where you can import it in a project file where all segments that have already been translated are present (you can already define them as translated during import, but still they will appear).
You can then 'Update Main Translation Memory' with translated segments and you completly bypass any alignment.

I don't know if and how the first part above is easy to do or not, but I don't see any fundamental other way, unless you find a XML editor capable of exporting values into plain text / table.

Greets,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
I just loaded a complex XML file into EXCEL... Dec 13, 2016

To test what I said above, I was able to load one of my complex xml files into Excel 2013. All codes and values appear neatly in tables. So you should be able to perform the 2nd part of what I said above. Your problem is you have a lot of files. What I would do is merge all files to be processed with UltraEdit (or other advanced text editor, maybe Notepad++ can do it also). Once merged, get it into Excel.

Mike

francoisdebeck
English
TOPIC STARTER
I will skip the alignment tool and force feed the TM with lists Dec 14, 2016

Thx for the input/inspiration

I will skip the alignment tool and force feed the TM with lists
I had one of our programmers generate CSV files, which can be converted into TMX files (search for freeware out there)

This will by far be the fastest method.
Sure there might be some errors.
Sure some TUs will not be 'by the book'
But that's a minor issue.
You have to make a trade-off time vs quality

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you Align a large volume of *partially translated* ResX files?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search