Do these two simple features exist in Trados?
Thread poster: Ignacio Costa

Ignacio Costa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:56
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 16, 2016

Hello all!

I've been trying to find two 'features' since Trados 2014 and I don't know if they really do not exist (either directly at Trados or with a plugin) or if I didn't find that.

Here they are:

1- Is there any easy way to search for a project in Trados? I simply can't understand why we don't have a kind of "Ctrl+F" to search for a project’s name or part of a name.
Or sth even better, like a feature to search for key words from the files within a project (eg.: you type a client's name or term and Trados shows you all projects that have a file with that term).

Do we already have any of these?

2- This second one would be actually a shortcut.
Is there any way to move from the Target editor tab to the Source tab without using the mouse?
Many times, I want to put my cursor in the Source tab in order to select a word and run the concordance search, but then I have to use the mouse to do so.
If I could simply change the cursor from the Target to the Source tab with a keyboard shortcut, that could make things a lot faster!

Thanks a lot guys!

Regards,

Ignacio

Direct link Reply with quote

sam@fr-uk  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
French to English
+ ...
Hit F6 Dec 16, 2016

Hi Ignacio,

You can press F6 to toggle between the source and target segment in Editor view.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sam

Brazil
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS! Dec 16, 2016

Ahaha gosh! Why did I take so long to ask it?

Thanks a lot Sam! It definitely helps!

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:56
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Search project Dec 16, 2016

In the projects view, click on "open project" (top left), and you will see the folder with all your projects in it - and a search feature.

Brazil
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 16, 2016

Thanks Mark.

It helps, but it's still a Windows Explorer folder. So it's a bit limited for what I was looking for.

We don't always have all the projects in a same folder (I know we should), and that would still not solve the "within-file" term search.

But thanks for the help!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The Concordance (F3) does not find projects, but it finds keywords in the TM Dec 17, 2016

There are ways of searching in the TM view, but I don't use them very often.

What is useful is the F3 function. When you have a term in the target section, you can highlight it and press F3. This will then show you segments where the same term has been used earlier, or if you highlight a string of words, it will look for them.
This will find a client's name, for instance, or their preferred terminology if you are lucky.

It is not 100% perfect. It does not always distinguish, for instance between the letter a and the Danish å (Ångström) - and they are considered two separate letters in Danish, so you may have the same problem with other diacritics and variants.
Likewise o and ø.
If there are not many examples of an exact phrase, it finds segments with the words separately, which may or may not be helpful. However, I use the feature a lot, and it turns up plenty of useful references.

It works best, of course, if you have a large cumulative TM, as it only searches the TM or TMs you have attached to the current project.

Brazil
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Christine! Dec 17, 2016

Hello Christine.

That's exactly what I've been doing when I want to find something. It's nice to know that I'm not alone! =)

However, it will only point to the TM name and input date. It does help, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Sometimes, I want to find a specific Project to take a look, as I feel like the "general idea" may be there (or any other kind of memory reference that I make and cannot be found by just searching for a term in my TMs).

Or I want to search for a specific project to see when it was completed, the TMs I used, how long it was, etc.
Anyway, my point here is a way to do a "Ctrl+F" and search for a key-word from the Project name (and, ideally, from the files names within it). Something like an “advanced search” for our projects catalog.

Taking the opportunity, does anyone also know a shortcut to toggle not only between source and target views, but also with other tabs, like the TM search, concordance search, etc?
That would be convenient when I want to edit or exclude a TM, for example, and don't want to use the mouse pointer to go there.
Maybe @sam@fr-uk, which already gave me the one-million-dollar hint of "F6"?

Thanks again!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Integrated Search Views app Dec 18, 2016

Ignacio Costa wrote:

a feature to search for key words from the files within a project

Sounds like you need the Integrated Search Views app. You can search for words across a group of projects, so long as the projects are in the project window. Select the projects and click on Add-ins>Search in Project.
It's available for Studio 2015 (and probably works with Studio 2017).
Check out this post I wrote about it:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/05/17/studio-search/
and download it here:
http://appstore.sdl.com/app/integrated-search-views/531/

Brazil
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks! Dec 19, 2016

Thanks Emma!

It may be a solution!

I'll take a look.

Thanks a lot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do these two simple features exist in Trados?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search