https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/309995-how_to_use_trados_package_and_create_a_return_package_in_trados_2011.html

How to use Trados package and create a return package in Trados 2011?
Thread poster: NikkoTh
NikkoTh
NikkoTh
English to French
Dec 18, 2016

Hi.

Once again, my client has sent me Trados packages to work on and requested me to send him return packages and once again it's a pain because I don't know how to use it.

The various helps I found on the internet (including on the SDL Trados help page) were confusing. I kind of managed to unpack the files from the Trados package but I still don't know how to create a return package. I followed the instructions I found but it didn't work on my side.

Could
... See more
Hi.

Once again, my client has sent me Trados packages to work on and requested me to send him return packages and once again it's a pain because I don't know how to use it.

The various helps I found on the internet (including on the SDL Trados help page) were confusing. I kind of managed to unpack the files from the Trados package but I still don't know how to create a return package. I followed the instructions I found but it didn't work on my side.

Could anyone explain clearly and step by step how to properly use a Trados package and create a return package in Trados 2011?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2016-12-18 00:59 GMT]
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 15:07
English to German
What Trados version are the original packages? Dec 18, 2016

Just to understand this, did the client send you packages for a higher Trados version, so that you had to use a workaround to open them (such as changing the file extension to .zip and unpacking the zip?) Or are they actually packages for Studio 2011?

NikkoTh
NikkoTh
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2011 I guess Dec 18, 2016

Well, I guess they're Trados 2011 package...
I might be completely stupid but I managed to unpack it by accident I'd say, but I've never managed to figure out how to put the files back into a return package...

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Open, don't unpack Dec 18, 2016

Open the package from within Studio by going to File > Open > Package.
Follow the wizard.
Do the translation.
When you've finished the translation, go to Project > Create Return Package.
Follow the wizard.

Hope that works!

Dawn Gable

NikkoTh
NikkoTh
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
@Emma Dec 20, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Open the package from within Studio by going to File > Open > Package.
Follow the wizard.
Do the translation.
When you've finished the translation, go to Project > Create Return Package.
Follow the wizard.

Hope that works!

Thank you very much. I don't encounter any problem unpacking the package, but once the translation is done, the "Create return package" function in the menu is shaded and unclickable...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Close the files in the Edit view Dec 20, 2016

The way I do it is to close the file or files in the Edit view. The go to the Files view (click on the folder in the left hand margin)

Select the file(s) you want to send in the pack (Hold the Shift key down to select more than one file)

Confusingly, the big icon to create packages IS greyed out in the Freelancer version of Studio, but at the top right of the tab is a much smaller icon with a blue arrow, and this should not be greyed out, though it is not always easy to
... See more
The way I do it is to close the file or files in the Edit view. The go to the Files view (click on the folder in the left hand margin)

Select the file(s) you want to send in the pack (Hold the Shift key down to select more than one file)

Confusingly, the big icon to create packages IS greyed out in the Freelancer version of Studio, but at the top right of the tab is a much smaller icon with a blue arrow, and this should not be greyed out, though it is not always easy to see. Click on that, and a wizard should appear to let you create a return package.

If you do not select another location, I think the default is that the package will be saved in the target file in the project package, or else it ends up wherever you saved the last package...
I choose the 'Open Folder' option in the wizard when the package has been created, just to be sure I can find it.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use Trados package and create a return package in Trados 2011?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »