Studio 2011, XML file: How to avoid creating several non-mergeable segments instead of one?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 19, 2016

I have a problem where Studio 2011 converts a single sentence in an XML file into several non-mergeable segments. In the picture below showing the XML source file in the Notepad++ editor, the words "Do", "not", and "leave..." are split in this way. Is it possible to avoid it somehow, for example by specifying additional segmentation rules?

DoNot

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 09:34
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, maybe you can skip segmentation definitions Dec 19, 2016

Hi Artem,
I have noticed that MS Excel can open XML files and put codes/values in different columns which you then can import into Trados using the Excel filter. I have used this file filter with great satisfaction where I get the segmentation I want.

Mike

Roy OConnor
Local time: 09:34
Member (2009)
German to English
It's a tag problem really Dec 19, 2016

I had a similar problem where the tags split the sentence into a number of segments and it made a proper translation impossible. The problem is that the tags are not defined in the parser for the type of XML which you are using. This causes the break in the sentence.

Have a look how the options for the span rule match up to your XML. The Trados help is pretty good at describing what the various options mean, it is a bit cumbersome though. It could be that all you need to do is to change the Segmentation hint (Advanced button) from "Undefined" to "Include".

Hope this helps...

Roy

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't quite get how to use this Dec 22, 2016

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi Artem,
I have noticed that MS Excel can open XML files and put codes/values in different columns which you then can import into Trados using the Excel filter. I have used this file filter with great satisfaction where I get the segmentation I want.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. This is interesting but I didn't quite get how to use the Excel method.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Importing a suitable .ini file seems to have helped Dec 22, 2016

Roy OConnor wrote:

I had a similar problem where the tags split the sentence into a number of segments and it made a proper translation impossible. The problem is that the tags are not defined in the parser for the type of XML which you are using. This causes the break in the sentence.

Have a look how the options for the span rule match up to your XML. The Trados help is pretty good at describing what the various options mean, it is a bit cumbersome though. It could be that all you need to do is to change the Segmentation hint (Advanced button) from "Undefined" to "Include".

Hope this helps...

Roy

The XML file in question was produced by FlexiPDF which is a rebranded version of Infix. An .ini file is included with it that can be used with Studio, as I learned recently (I thought it was only good for the old Trados 2007). I created a new XML file type in Studio and imported this .ini file during the creation, after which the problem disappeared.

[Edited at 2016-12-22 22:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011, XML file: How to avoid creating several non-mergeable segments instead of one?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search