Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Local time: 15:19
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 20, 2016

Hi there,

I have a set of .xml files and I want to process on Trados 2014. My issue: the generated bilingual files do not show certain placeables that would be needed in order to the target language to show proper order.

For example the segment
Click the button.
Appears as:
1.Click the
2. button.

As you can see, no tag generated for the snippet indication. As a result, the target language which demands a different order "Click the button" "snippet" cannot be correctly placed.

I have tried myself to figure out how to tell Trados how to treat such segments creating placeables, but I have to add a rule for 'inline tag rules'. The question is how to write the rule?
I have found no explanation how to create those rules, only one example:

"If you want to identify all HTML tr (table rows) tags, enter this:

Start Tag:

End Tag: "

But based on that, I am still clueless how to code my own rule for the cases above. I have tried everything, but yet the bilingual files show no placeable and no tag for such "

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Open with Excel, it's a much better filter in my opinion... Dec 20, 2016

Hi,
instead of the nuisance to alter all sorts of parser rules and segmentations, I feel it's much easier to just open the XML file with Excel, save it and then chose 'Bilingual Excel' file for your translation. You surely cannot do this in all scenarios, but if possible just do it, you save a lot of trouble and as an additional bonus you don't have to handle unnecessary tags in the Editor.
Once your work is finished save the xlsx file as xml again.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-20 18:19 GMT]

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 20, 2016

Hi Mike,

thanks you for suggesting this! This was also suggested by a colleague, however I got from excel a prompt about a problem with the files and the excel file I've got, when I finally opened it in Trados, look actually even more strange with several columns and fragmentation. So maybe my case is as you describe, a scenario where this solution does not work out.
For the moment, I am locking segments to avoid corrupting TM and hoping client will not get a mess on his side...

Best

Soraya Hoepfner

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Which prompt? Dec 20, 2016

Hi Soraya,
sorry, you were fast in responding, I have edited the last line of my message ("Once your work is...").
If you give me the details of the error message, maybe I can understand what prevents a neat import. In the Bilingual Excel File Type, you need to set the right columns (A, B etc.) for what is the source segment and the translation. Also you have to place this File Type *above* the normal Excel file type in the project settings.

Mike

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xlsx into xml Dec 20, 2016

Hi Mark
thanks for following up on this. Indeed my colleague that told me to make into excel did not mention I should save again as 'xml'. humm have to try this, regarding prompts, I actually get a first one

The file you are open contains stylesheet(st). with 2 options presented:
-open the file without applying a stylesheet
- open the file with the following style sheet applied (and the only option is /.../helpproject.xsl

If I chose the first option, I get a second prompt

please select how you would like to open this file
- as an XML table
- as a read-only workbook
-use the xml source task pane

Then if I chose the first one, comes the problem prompt

There is a problem with the specified XML or schema source.
Click OK to have Excel to create a schema based on the XML source data.

Then I would get this table with several columns. And I haven't tried to save it back to XML. I will try now..

Best
Soraya

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no export Dec 20, 2016

Hi Mike,

so if I chose 1st option in 2 prompts and go through, when I try to save as 'xml data' I get a prompt saying it is not possible to save. If I chose 'xml 2003' it says some features will be lost. I may try combining other options, but I am afraid that will change structure of original XML files received from client and could turn the target not useful after all?
Best
Soraya

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Soraya, Dec 20, 2016

I'm afraid I was too generic with my advices. Here the detailed procedure, and you can also use the normal Excel file type (it depends on the content of your xml files and if it contains or not translated strings already. In your case I guess it's not, so use the NORMAL Excel File Type).

1)
Open your original xml file with MS-Excel and save it as a xlsx (Excel) file;
The XML code should appear in one column, the values of the codes in another column.

2)
In Trados Studio, in the Project Options, you need to tell the Excel File Type (not the bilingual one in your case) which column contains the text to be translated which in your case is the column with the code VALUES. Make any appropiate options in the 'Common' section that apply in your case.
Tip: Just hide in Excel the columns that have NOT to be translated, so you can use the default settings of Studio for the Excel file type, but still chose the correct settings in the 'Common' section.

3)
Once finished translation, export document, and save the xlsx file back to xml file.

If in the first step you get options from Excel to open the file, you will have to try out different options until you get a neat table separating the xml codes in one column and the values in another column. This is possible, you must try out different possibilities.

I hope this helps,
Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-20 19:02 GMT]

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sounds good Dec 20, 2016

Hi Mike,
thank you for being so didactic, I am really not use to prepare projects on my own, rather to receive packages from agencies! I will try to do as you suggest, let us see if it works.
Best
Soraya

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have added... Dec 20, 2016

...an important tip in the step 2) which is hiding content in Excel.

Mike

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Dec 20, 2016

yep, I realized in the generated bilingual all unwanted columns come along.. however, I am afraid I am not skilled enough to do that, because finally my problem persists, I only get the text but no placeable for the exactly portions I need in order to make the target (PT-br) makes sense.

So I get the same structure of previous xml, with 2 segments "Click the" "button" instead of "Click the" TAG "button". So, as a result, since the PTBR has to say "Click the button TAG", I have no means to guarantee the right position the portion missing.

I am behind schedule and I have to give up, I am sure the problem is my lack of skills - and unfortunately I cannot disclose the material so you could take a look.

But thank you very much for your time on this!

Best
Soraya

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
The basic problem with xml files is... Dec 20, 2016

...that you generally don't have any influence on how the author of the file has defined his tag structure. In his case, it may be that he has a lot of 'variables' that come after the 'Click the'. So just translate it so it is correct in all what comes after. But even then Trados will help you with the Autopropagation: you have to do it once only and not x times.

My clients (also agencies) do know well that if I am distracted with formatting questions instead of translating, I will tell them I add an hourly rate for the formatting work (generally PDF handlings, but also special xml formats etc.), so in general I get some 'clean' and 'common' files to work on. It's a question to train your clients to know what your work is all about.

Mike

Soraya Hoepfner
Germany
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 20, 2016

Hi Mike
you are 100% right, additionally it is not so obvious how certain target languages behave and even to explain the issue is difficult. I am finding the only possible solution which is locking dozens of segments (this is a 25k job) with hundreds of same sentences but each wit at least 3 different translations and moving on. Clearly, a tag solution would be the best to preserve a good TM and prevent corrupted sentences, but it will be too time consuming until I find out how to do it, if it is possible at all.
All the best,
Soraya.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag inline rules - how to create one?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search