Thread poster: ventnai

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:04
German to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2016

Hi
I am trying to save the target Excel file of a translation in Trados Studio 2014 but the save process does not complete. I left it saving while I had lunch but it still did not save. The original file is 3,214 kb in Excel 2013. There a few drop-down boxes. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:04
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Do you have any comments? Dec 20, 2016

Ian Jones wrote:
Any ideas anyone?Thanks

I have had problems saving target files when there are comments in the sdlxliff file.

Dan

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Some points to check... Dec 20, 2016

Hi,
Not sure for the comments, but in the project settings for Excel File Types, if you set it to ignore comments then the file will not export with added comments in it, or you will have to enable comment recognition in the File Type *prior* of importing the Excel file.

Other reasons for not exporting a document:
Maybe you have set the QA options to treat a QA match as 'Error'. In that case you won't be able to export until you resolve the error. Better give a 'Warning' or lower status, this should export the file.
Then, tag-related errors must be resolved in the editor, the file will also not be exported with such errors.

Mike

Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 20, 2016

Thanks for your ideas, Dan and Mike. There are no comments in the file and Mike's suggestion doesn't appear to be a solution either.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Ian, Dec 20, 2016

what happens if you open your original (non-imported) file with MS-Excel, do you get any errors or options for opening the file?

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-20 18:36 GMT]

Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Normal Dec 20, 2016

Hi Mike Thanks. It opens up as normal. No messages.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I'm afraid I cannot help more... Dec 20, 2016

Ian,
well, this means the file is non-corrupt for Excel and it should neither be corrupt for Trados, but Excel and Trados are 2 different and unrelated software. I can only guess it has something to do or with your import settings that deviate from default ones, or some errors left in the target language sdlxliff file. Sorry to re-ask you, I assume you have, but check again the 'Messages' window in the editor, are there any errors listed?
If all fails, what I would do is: take your original document and save it as xls (a prior version of the current Excel), import it, pre-translate it and export; save it back to xlsx and inform your client about it. This procedure should not impact the text styles of the original doc.

Mike

Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 20, 2016

Thanks Mike. There are no significant errors and I had already tried translating other versions of the Excel file. No avail. I'll just have to copy everything by hand. Thanks very much anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to save a large Excel file in Trados 2014

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search