Thread poster: ChananZass

ChananZass
Italy
Local time: 04:40
Member (2014)
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2016

Just received notice that support for SDL Trados Studio 2014 is to end on June 30, 2017.
In other words, your Studio application will no longer be updated, patched, etc. following that date.

Is that an acceptable business practice?
To force you to buy a new package every 3 years?

I find it an unprecedented and outrageous practice.
Any opinions about this?

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Yep, $$$ rules the world... Dec 21, 2016

You are probably right, but still you have SDL Community, the Knowledgebase and last but not least: this forum to get help. Having the time, if I bump into problem posts I try to help. And NO: Please don't buy a new package every 3 years unless you find it useful...I don't think that's in the EULA...

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-21 15:32 GMT]

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Will it still function? Dec 21, 2016

ChananZass wrote:
I find it an unprecedented and outrageous practice.
Any opinions about this?

From what you report it doesn't mean that Studio 2014 cannot be used beyond that date. You are not being denied the ability to use the software from June 2016 onward. It will probably become increasingly inconvenient, however.

By the time support is dropped Studio 2014 will have been on the market for three and a half years and will be two generations old, as 2015 and 2017 have been released since. I think no reasonable person would argue that the software should be supported indefinitely, so the question becomes one of how long we can reasonably expect support. Ten years? Fifteen? Five? One?

One could argue that shorter support lives reflect the pace of change in the translation software market compared to the more leisurely changes in (say) the word processing market, where the applications are mature and little useful functionality is added from generation to generation.

I would be interested in hearing whether Atril and Kilgray have a similarly explicit support cutoff and, if so, how many years it is. Maybe this is an area in which SDL is behind the other two?

Dan

ChananZass
Italy
Member (2014)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By support, I meant minor-version updates and security patches Dec 21, 2016

These are needed to reflect changes in the MS .NET Framework, for example.
Three and a half years seem to me an extremely short term.
What would we all say if Microsoft announced it intended to stop supporting Windows 8.1, 8.0, or even 7 within a month or two?

Or for that matter, for those of us working with content management systems, what would we say if any of the CMS producers told us their system is good and secure for 3-4 years only?

Point is, if I knew the application was good for 3 years only, I probably would not buy it.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Software developers gotta eat! Dec 21, 2016

It's common practice to roll out new versions of the same product, with incremental (or insignificant) changes or improvements, and withdraw technical support from older ones. Adobe, Microsoft and other companies do it all the time.

The last time I used SDL Trados 2014 was in, ahem, 2014, for a particular team-driven project. The following year the client decided to go in house and retired the whole team of independent contractors. So, my SDL Trados 2014 is lying around, so to speak, like a bored dog.

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translators got to eat as well Dec 21, 2016

Just received the same mail... and again, I am really concerned about our trade. We keep investing in updates, several CAT-software just to earn a living. What happened to being a translator... or are we just trained monkeys getting paid peanuts because we want to be of service, be it with Studio, MemoQ, Wordbee etc etc.

[Edited at 2016-12-21 17:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-21 17:43 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
The only usage stop lies far ahead...In theory... Dec 21, 2016

As for CAT tools: latest when the File Type do not match anymore, then, alas, it will be time to change the CAT software. SDLX was the first software from SDL if I'm not wrong (before they absorbed Trados). Of course it's not supported anymore, but you still can use it. SDLX (or Trados 2007) will support Word and MS-Office files up to the 2007 versions. You are stucked if your clients send you such files from newer versions. So in theory you could still convert your working files to an older format to actually use SDLX / Trados 2007. But humm...Will you do it? Probably not, too time-consuming and what's worse: It may not be what your client wants to have delivered to him.

Be it that CAT developers are money-hungry or not, you will end up buying the newest solution, so it's convenient for you and for the developers, I see nothing wrong in it.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-21 18:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical support for Studio 2014 to end June 30, 2017

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search