Thread poster: TextFree

TextFree
Netherlands
Local time: 23:25
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 6

One of my clients used to send me his webpages in .doc format, which was fine in Trados. About a year ago, they switched to sending me the same pages in html format. This somehow creates an issue with the spacing between lines. When I translate the content, all goes fine. But when I check the final result, there are no spaces between two consecutive lines. So, I have to manually add spaces after each line where this is appropriate, by using the preview screen to check where spaces are missing. This is very annoying and time consuming, but I can't find a menu option or other solution to fix it. I am now working with Trados 2017, but it also happened with the previous version. Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Spacing necessary? Jan 6

Trados manages html documents automatically. Could you explain "adding space where appropriate"? Or what you mean with lines? Lines wrap automatically in html documents, possibly depending on the html viewer you use. They wrap for example typically after the code br for line break. Or do they send you html documents for Microsoft Word? I think you might need to give more details.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
What happens when you open your translated HTML with a web browser? Jan 6

Hi TextFree,
I suspect that you don't need to do all that dance with adding spaces. Make this experiment: just import your original document and copy all source segments to target, then export. If you open your 'translated' html with a web browser and you see all lines wrapped correctly, then everything is OK and you won't need to add separate spaces or line breaks; if instead you see truncated sentences, then yes, there is an issue and you need to instruct Trados to handle the html differently (but then I don't know how, it never happened to me).

Mike

TextFree
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Jan 6

Looks like my problem is solved, or rather, there never was a problem to begin with. What happened was that after translating the html file, the Trados preview showed no spaces between two consecutive lines. Like this: this is line A.this is line B.
So, I always assumed that this would be exactly how it would show in the target html file. Turns out that this is a preview issue only, and the target html files looks fine. Much ado about nothing...
Come to think of it, it could also be that installing Trados 2017 actually solved it, cause I vaguely remember checking the target html files earlier.
Anyway, thanks for your input.

[Bijgewerkt op 2017-01-06 14:56 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Pseudotranslate to know how your translated document will look like Jan 6

Just remember that there are 2 ways to fastly know how your translation will look like: it's not the preview, but the Pseudotranslate feature, or the method I explained here above. I also try out different file types on import to know how many tags I will have to handle and if I can reduce such 'noise'.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-06 16:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue with spacing in HTML documents

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search