Locked words inside segments
Thread poster: Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 10:12
English
Jan 12

Hello,

We have a request to leave colored text in the original language.
While there are probably several ways to do that, I remember working with SDLXLIFF files were only certain words were locked within an open segment. Two small lock icons appeared before and after the locked text.

Does anybody know how such lockings are created?
I was thinking of locking words based on their color.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Suggestion Jan 13

Does this help?
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/284572-blocking_text_to_be_left_as_is_in_studio_2011.html

I have never seen locked words in segments. I usually get prepared docs, so I don't have suggestions for customizing file preparation, but I have seen documents in which phrases or words are marked/surrounded by "do not translate" tags.

[Edited at 2017-01-13 01:06 GMT]

Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the link Jan 13

Hi Lianne,

Thank you for the link. These Translators Tools are quite interesting!

In our case the original document is an IDML file which makes things a little more complicated.
Eventually we decided to convert colored text into conditional text that will appear surrounded by a "do not translated" tag in the SDLXLIFF file.

Still I would like to figure out how to create those local locks around words but I have a feeling it may only work if the original document is a XML-based file.

Have a nice day!

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Regular expressions Jan 13

In MemoQ, I would use regex to tag words, code, sentences, etc. that should not be translated/messed with.

I found this for Studio: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/File_Types/Examples_of_Regular_Expressions.htm

Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
Text files only? Jan 13

Hi Mirko,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have taken a look at this feature but as far as I can see, it only applies to text files.

Lorenzo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Locked words inside segments

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search