How to insert smart (curly) quotes in Studio 2015
Thread poster: Nathalie Suteau
Nathalie Suteau
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
English to French
Jan 16

Hello,
I'm just starting a project and I have to use smart (curly) ’ quotes in Studio. In French, I can of course use Alt0146 but I noticed a function in Studio 2015.

Options > Editor > Auto-Correct. Uncheck the box Replace “Straight quotes” with smart quotes.

I check the box and oh bad surprise, Studio 2015 inserts reverse smart quotes ‘.

Does someone know who to fix this issue?

Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 23:51
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Hi Nathalie, Jan 17

I think it's in the Auto-Correct options.

Mike

Nathalie Suteau
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Mike Jan 17

MikeTrans wrote:

I think it's in the Auto-Correct options.

Mike

Yes, I know but I get reverse curly apostrophes instead of curly apostrophes.
Thanks anyway. Good evening.

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 23:51
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Sorry... Jan 17

Sorry Nathalie, I'm afraid I didn't carefully read your post. Because I'm using a swiss keyboard which is most convenient for my language pairs, I never run in these problems: it has all possible strokes at my disposal and I can switch to one of the languages in Windows. I guess you could do the same with *any* keyboard by loading the appropriate language options in Windows, but a solution for your question is still outstanding, I hope someone else will intervene.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-17 22:26 GMT]

Nathalie Suteau
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
You're welcome Jan 17

MikeTrans wrote:

Sorry Nathalie, I'm afraid I didn't carefully read your post. Because I'm using a swiss keyboard which is most convenient for my language pairs, I never run in these problems: it has all possible strokes at my disposal and I can switch to one of the languages in Windows. I guess you could do the same with *any* keyboard by loading the appropriate language options in Windows, but a solution for your question is still outstanding, I hope someone else will intervene.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-17 22:26 GMT]

You're welcome. I use a French azerty keyboard.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:51
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not really a surprise Jan 18

The quotes are quotation marks - surrounding a quotation. The opening pair is automatically “upside down” and the second pair is regular - because this is how quotations should be. I assume that software is programmed accordingly.
Manually: Alt +0147 for upside down and Alt +0148 for regular, or you will have to program your keyboard.

[Edited at 2017-01-18 03:19 GMT]

Nathalie Suteau
United Kingdom
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Jan 18

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

The quotes are quotation marks - surrounding a quotation. The opening pair is automatically “upside down” and the second pair is regular - because this is how quotations should be. I assume that software is programmed accordingly.
Manually: Alt +0147 for upside down and Alt +0148 for regular, or you will have to program your keyboard.

[Edited at 2017-01-18 03:19 GMT]

I just made a test and you're correct. Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert smart (curly) quotes in Studio 2015

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search