How to create a custom task sequence?
Thread poster: Katja Heimann-Kiefer

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Local time: 12:18
English to German
Jan 26

Hi all,

so today I upgraded to Studio 2017 (Freelance Plus) - and am missing my custom task sequence for setting up projects: converting files into Trados format and running an analysis. NO pretranslation. NO project TMs.

Online help tells me that in order to create a task sequence I should select File > Setup > Task Sequences from the menu bar. However, "Task Sequences" is greyed out. What do I have to do?

Thanks!

Katja

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
I think you cannot do that with the Freelance version Jan 26

For making custom tasks you need the Professional version of Studio. Just add a zero to the CAT price..., so I don't think it's worth to get it for that, and you are not missing much.
AFAIK the Freelance Plus has only the additional feature that allows you to create Autosuggest dictionaries and that's it, but the new Fragment feature in Studio 2017 makes this feature obsolete (you can use it but then your Autosuggest may be crowded unnecessarily).

Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-26 14:17 GMT]

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
This can't be the whole story Jan 26

Hi Mike,

I previously had Freelance Plus, too, and was able to create my custom sequence. (Which is why I am missing it now.)

So there must be a way.

Katja

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Well... Jan 26

...usually if in Studio some menu items are greyed out, it means it's there for another version, but you are right: you should get a window that pops up telling you to upgrade your license if you want to use that feature. I don't know how these politics have changed in the 2017 version though, but I know there are not separate packages for the versions, it all depends on your license. The right place/person to ask this is the support / or an employee of SDL. Also take a look in your account to see if really you have installed everything.

[EDIT]
Sorry I made a mistake above, the Autosuggest Create is an 'Add-on' that you can buy with any 'Freelance' version. The 'Freelance Plus' version allows you to install and use 2 installations of the software on 2 different computers, also simultaneoulsy.
Maybe you have been using the Trial version before buying your current license? In the Trial all features are unlocked for 30 days I think.

Here is a link with the differences of the versions of Studio, but please inquire in the support to get sure you have all features 'activated' according to your license!
http://www.translationzone.com/products/trados-studio/editions-comparison.html

Mike

[Edited at 2017-01-27 00:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a custom task sequence?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search