Igor Jogan  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:59
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 31, 2017

Hi Trados experts!
I am starting to learn Trados, thus I have a number of questions related to a recent job experience:
1) I was sent by a client a sdlxliff file along with the request to review the translation already accomplished. Indeed I could not open this file in review mode, I could open it only in translation mode and after that it was for me impossible, first, to skip to the review mode and, second, to create a return package, since the software would not allow me to launch these tow procedures. Why?
2) Usually when I am asked to work on a Trados file I am sent a SDLPPX package and return a SDLRPX package, and this usually works. BUT when I create a project package (SDLPPX) starting from scratch, it seems that my correspondents are not allowed to open it.
So :
is the sdlxliff file the correct file on which one can do translations, reviews and produce return files?
How can I create a file that will be read by others?

Many many thanks.
Igor

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Difference between project and package Jan 31, 2017

If you have Studio Freelance version, you can't create a package at all, and you can only create a return package if you've been sent a package in the first place.
You can create a project, which is for your own use. Maybe you have the professional version if you're able to create an SDLPPX?

If you receive a translated sdlxliff only, you can open it as a single document for translation or review. You might have to save it before the review option is available, I'm not sure. And if you only receive an sdlxliff file, that that's the only one you can return after translation or revision. You won't be able to create a target file if you don't have the native source file.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A few points Jan 31, 2017

1) I was sent by a client a sdlxliff file along with the request to review the translation already accomplished. Indeed I could not open this file in review mode, I could open it only in translation mode and after that it was for me impossible, first, to skip to the review mode and, second, to create a return package, since the software would not allow me to launch these tow procedures. Why?

2) Usually when I am asked to work on a Trados file I am sent a SDLPPX package and return a SDLRPX package, and this usually works. BUT when I create a project package (SDLPPX) starting from scratch, it seems that my correspondents are not allowed to open it.
So :
is the sdlxliff file the correct file on which one can do translations, reviews and produce return files?
How can I create a file that will be read by others?

Hi Igor,

I'll try to clarify a few things.

1) If you double click on the SDLXLIFF file received from your client, the file will open in the default Translation mode in Studio. To change to Review mode, you would need to first save the file, which will have the effect of creating a Project, then close the file in the Editor view, go to the Files view, find the newly created Project, select the file and then open it for review. If you follow this procedure, you won't be able to create a return package because your starting point is not a package but simply an SDLXLIFF. In this case, after you make your edits to the file and save it, you would need to return your modified SDLXLIFF file to the client, which should be in the same location where you initially saved it, or you can also find it by going to the Files view and clicking Explore Containing Folder from the ribbon.

2) Here I would have to ask, how are you creating your package? As you know, packages can only be created in the Professional version of Studio, and the wizard is pretty straightforward, allowing you to add the necessary files and assets to the package. Once this is done, the package can be opened in any version of Studio.

You are correct in that the SDLXLIFF files are where all the work is done, and in fact, a package is simply a collection of files that includes the SDLXLIFF and other files you select during the creation of the package (such as TMs, termbases, etc.). To see this, you can try changing a package's extension to zip, then unzip the file and you will see what's contained inside the package.

About your last question, what do you mean a file that can be read by others? An SDLXLIFF file or a target file?

To better understand Studio's review features, I recommend this video: http://www.translationzone.com/video/translators-talk-trados-useful-review-features-in-sdl-trados-studio/114533/

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Packages and return packages Jan 31, 2017

Not sure if this is relevant to the original question, but I just thought I'd add that you can't open a return package if you don't have the original package in Studio first. In other words, if you're sending a return package to someone who doesn't have the original package, they won't be able to open it. The solution for this is opening the original package first, then the return package, which means you have to provide both to whoever needs to open the files. Obviously, the person who created the package won't need to receive both, only the return package, but there are other scenarios where this is necessary.

Igor Jogan  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Women are the best!!!! Feb 1, 2017

Emma, Nora, many many thanks for your inestimable help.
Igor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

questions about sdlxliff and package files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search