Different font size in target segments and source segments.
Thread poster: ph-b

ph-b
France
Local time: 12:46
English to French
+ ...
Jan 31, 2017

The font size in the target segments sometimes differs from the font size in the corresponding source segments. (This change is reflected in the target Word file, which changes the client's original layout, i.e. I waste time putting it right.)

This happens with target files whose source files include or don't include tags, nor does it happen with all source segments that include tags.

The original Word files are either .doc. or .docx documents and this happens in both.

Thank you for your help.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Some questions Jan 31, 2017

Are they original word docs (composed in word), or word docs based on pdf's?
If it's the latter, all kinds of formatting can happen.

Are you sure you use all (formatting) tags in the target as in the source? Have you made sure the formatting tags are visible in the editor?

Are the different fonts intended (layout) or random changes that look like errors?

I have not seen this particular problem, but I usually don't work with the final documents. Above are two suggestions that might help. Another option would be to try codezapper to make sure you remove redundant code in word without it affecting the document.

[Edited at 2017-01-31 16:29 GMT]

ph-b
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jan 31, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Are they original word docs (composed in word), or word docs based on pdf's?
If it's the latter, all kinds of formatting can happen.

Are you sure you use all (formatting) tags in the target as in the source? Have you made sure the formatting tags are visible in the editor?

Are the different fonts intended (layout) or random changes that look like errors?

I have not seen this particular problem, but I usually don't work with the final documents. Above are two suggestions that might help. Another option would be to try codezapper to make sure you remove redundant code in word without it affecting the document.

[Edited at 2017-01-31 16:29 GMT]

Thank you, Lianne, I'll check these points.

ph-b
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update. Feb 1, 2017

Just to say, if someone has this problem, that I'm provisionnally avoiding the issue by copying the source segment into the target segment as soon as I realize that the target font has been changed and then overwrite the copied source text with my translation, which keeps the original font.

Probably not the most elegant solution but it works and preserves the client's original lay-out.

Lianne, I'm in the middle of the translation and haven't got the time unfortunately to try your solutions or learn how to use a new software right now, but I will. Thanks all the same.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different font size in target segments and source segments.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search