WinAlign: '....has detected a problem and has to close'
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2005

WinAlign on BOTH my computers is giving this message, just when I desperately need to align a couple of texts.

Trados 6, Windows XP

Maybe if I uninstall Trados and reinstall it? But should I/do I have to save my memories/is there a risk of damage to them?

If I should save my memories, how can I do that, there's at least 20 of them?

Any help with this problem appreciated:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A couple should be married, not aligned :-) Apr 7, 2005

Please be more specific - what kind of texts do you wish to align? Did you prepare them in any way?

And if you should reinstall Trados - translation memories have nothing to do with the programm itself, this is the same as Word documents. You can reinstall Word as often you wish, this does not affect the documents. Same with Trados. Only if you were very uncarefull and placed the translation memories in Trados installation folder I would make a backup of them.

Finally I'm moving this topic to Trados Support Forum

Regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details...? Apr 7, 2005

Hi Ailish,
Adding to Jerzy's comments:
Trados 6, Windows XP

Which version of Trados 6 are you using (full version number, including the build number, please)?

If you're trying to align Word files (you didn't specify the file format), you may want to check (i) if the files contain revision marks; and/or (ii) if you can save them in RTF format.
If they contain graphics, you may want to try removing those for the alignment process.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Ralf and Jercy Apr 7, 2005

Ralf, Trados 6.0.0.309 Build 310

Jerzcy, thank you: I uninstalled and reinstalled Trados inc. WinAlign, and see that the memories are still intact.

As for teh texts, they are simple, no graphics. They are far less complex that texts I have successfully aligned previously. As Ralf indicated, I have in fact 'learned' that it's smarter to remove graphics.

I have tried both RTF and DOC versions, without success.

Note that after reinstalling Trados/WinAlign, the problem still continues.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does this happen on a particular file? Apr 7, 2005

You state you try to align MORE files.
What if you do this file by file? Does this error appear then too?
Sometimes even simply looking documents may cause problems due to bad formatting. You may also try to remove ALL formatting from your documents, then copy the text (leaving at least the last paragraph mark unselected when copying) to a new document and save it as rtf. I understand, that this is an additional work, but alignment allways means work first, before you can enjoy afterwards

Beside of all advices, the best I can give you is to upgrade to the latest version and build of Trados. The current price for the upgrade is 170 Euros. The latest build adresses several issues in Trados. From my point of view, the most significant changes are in handling Unicode and support for Polish, which may not be what you need, but certainly there were other issues adressed too.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign: '....has detected a problem and has to close'

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search