Studio 2017 - Placing tags - Placement automatically changes to not include a space at the end
Thread poster: Jaime Oriard

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 2, 2017

Is there a setting somewhere, or some kind of workaround, that will prevent Trados Studio from automatically "correcting" the placement of a tag?

Sometimes I want to have the space after the last word selected for tagging to be within the tag pair. To do so, I select the space as part of the text I want the tags to span. However, after releasing the keyboard shortcut keys, the closing tags automatically moves from after the last space to before the space and immediately after the last word or punctuation mark.

Such behavior might agree with xml best practices, but still I would prefer to be able to insert tags where I want them to go. Especially to avoid a million errors regarding spacing before/after tags during verification.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try this Feb 2, 2017

I don't know if this is an artefact or not: I wanted to check if I see this behavior too, and I did. Then I toggled the paragraph sign (show white spaces) to see dots for spaces to make sure I was doing what I intended to do. It then worked! After I toggled the "show white spaces" off again, I could succesfully select spaces and include it in the tags. See if that works for you.

[Edited at 2017-02-02 02:37 GMT]

Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, it didn't. Feb 2, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

I don't know if this is an artefact or not: I wanted to check if I see this behavior too, and I did. Then I toggled the paragraph sign (show white spaces) to see dots for spaces to make sure I was doing what I intended to do. It then worked! After I toggled the "show white spaces" off again, I could succesfully select spaces and include it in the tags. See if that works for you.

[Edited at 2017-02-02 02:37 GMT]

I toggled whitespaces on with a keyboard shortcut and then tried it, and it didn't work (with whitespaces showing). Then I tried with whitespaces not showing, it still didn't work. I then tried toggling the whitespaces with the toolbar button, and tried it with and without whitespaces, and still it didn't work.

At least now that I know that you were able to "fix it," I might try something else and see if I can get it to work for me.

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL forum Feb 2, 2017

Don't forget that you will get the most professional answers on the SDL forum: Xl8.one

Mexico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another workaround Feb 2, 2017

Just in case someone else is looking for a solution. Someone suggested another workaround in this SDL forum thread.

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Selecting backwards instead of forwards Feb 3, 2017

Jaime Oriard wrote:

Just in case someone else is looking for a solution. Someone suggested another workaround in this SDL forum thread.

Hi Jaime, it could very well be that that is what I did as well without being aware of it, and thinking it was the "show white space" toggle instead. I will have to doublecheck, thank you for the feedback.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 - Placing tags - Placement automatically changes to not include a space at the end

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search