Text direction in Studio
Thread poster: Mariam Osmann

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 22:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 5, 2017

I have been handed a translation package, from English into Arabic.

The text direction display for the English is RTL while the Arabic is LTR, even it won't make a difference in the final document, it's confusing keeping working with this display.

Awaiting your kind smart advises. I have no clue which section of the settings may help!

Thank you in advance.
Mariam

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Studio follows the standard order of the language Feb 5, 2017

Would it not be more confusing if Studio would handle Arabic in the same direction as English? That would force you to read the language the opposite way of what's normal.

I regretably don't know if it's possible to change the word order, but I would check the individual language settings.

Roy

Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:16
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
RTL and LTR. Feb 5, 2017

Hello Matian,
First please note that English is LTR and Arabic aand Hebrew are RTL. Now I assume that you are in Editor Mode. This mode has to display the right (source) side in English (LTR) while the opposite (Left window) display Arabic RTL. While translating, if you have mixed text you need to swich language (Alt+Shift) and direction (Cnrl+ Shift). please verify tour langauge settings: File > Options > Editor > Lamguages and check the settings (please see attached image).
You can also use the RLT and LTR icons that you'll find in the "Formatting" group at the "Home" tab.
Hope this may help you solve this problem.
dyo4cw4q14rfxpu4odsz.jpg

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Feb 5, 2017

Thank you Roy and Amnon.

Your answers were enlightening, actually the work is from Arabic into English, yet the source file is bilingual in the first few pages, that's why the confusion.

Now all is goodicon_biggrin.gif

Thank you
Mariam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text direction in Studio

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search