International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Files all moving to the wrong subfolder
Thread poster: David Smith

David Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
Member (2008)
Chinese to English
Feb 6, 2017

Hi all,

A bit of a strange issue. I'm sure I've accidentally moved a setting somehow.

Basically whenever I open a new or existing Trados project, no matter where I set it in the process, it will always put the project into an old folder in my Google Drive. It creates an empty folder in the folder I actually select, but then creates all the various Trados files in the old folder.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Trados (I use Studio 2014), I've updated and checked everything I can think of.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
David

Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Had this happen, too and found the culprit (and the solution) Feb 6, 2017

Hi David,

I had this happen, too, for a while and it took me quite long to find the reason (and solution) to this. I always thought that it would be possible to tell Studio where to put all projects, but each time I did, it told me that there were already files in the folder and I ended up with all project files from opened packages in one specific client folder...

The whole thing happened when I once opened a project file within a project folder a client sent me. Not a package to open, but actually a complete zipped/unzipped project folder. I had this folder within the mentioned client folder, opened the project file from within there, and from then on, all other project packages were opened in this one special folder. It took me a while to find out.

Solution: From outside Studio, go into your project folder (or any other folder where you want your files to go in the future), open any project file (the blue one) from in there and you should be set again. If you ever get a project folder from a client again, move it to the project folder where all your projects are/should be opened and proceed from there. Do not use it from any other location.

I suppose you opened a project file from within Google Drive once, and therefore all files will go there...

Please note the difference between "project package" and "project file". The problem is NOT opening a package in any place, I do that all the time. The problem is opening a project file in any place that it not your project folder, as this seemingly will change the path for all your following projects. Not convenient at all...

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrea

David Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
Member (2008)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't Work Feb 9, 2017

Thanks for your help but I'm afraid it still doens't work. Not sure what's happening. For the life of me I can't see any settings of file locations anywhere.

Trados even creates an empty folder in the correct location for the project, but all the actual project files go over to the wrong folder.

Any other thoughts anyone?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Files all moving to the wrong subfolder

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search