Why is my Studio TM so slow?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2017

I've used this TM for several years now (built it myself by translating the same type of documents for the same customer), and it has grown to 68 MB in size. But now it takes very long time to search the TM and also to get hits displayed. Do I need to re-organize it somehow, and how can I do that?

I've been very careful with the beginning with this TM to avoid unnecessary items in the TM, such as numbers etc. and also, I have edited entries quite a lot when I later found out better translations of entries that reappear. So it's not that I have just let anything go into this TM but I have tried all the time to keep it neat and tidy so I get good hits and search results I can rely on.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:26
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Just a comment Feb 6, 2017

Hello Fredrik,

I am not an expert, but I have used Trados for over ten years, and can offer some comments.

I have an 87 MB specialized TM (built over some years) that continues to work at normal speed (in Trados 2015). So size shouldn't really be an issue.

However, since Trados can access multiple TMs, I do wonder if there is an a maximum recommended size, after which one should simply start another one, and use the first one only for reference. I would be interested if any experts have any comments on this?

Regards,
Mark

xxxToon Theuwis  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Had a similar problem recently Feb 6, 2017

This helped: moving the TM and/or checking what's in your project settings. See this thread:

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/10294

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Just load 1 TM and 1 TB as a test... Feb 7, 2017

Hi Fredrik,
do as in the title and your project should load very quickly after the batch tasks and your double-click on the file to open it in Editor. If instead you have a lot of web ressources (web TBs, MT plugins, more than 1 TM and a substantial project file) then your project may take about 1 minute to load, that's normal. Also it gets visibly longer if you use large TMs with the new UpLift features (Studio 2017), other than trippling up your TM size on import it also takes time to compute and display the fragments (subsegments). That's the disadvantage of the new feature, maybe they can get it faster in future...However, while Studio is looking for fragments you can already type in your translation, you don't have to waiticon_smile.gif

I think it is somewhat faster to use a project TM, problem is that the UpLift features are currently broken when using it.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-07 00:23 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Studio 2014 for this TM Feb 7, 2017

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will try them.

I use Studio 2014 for this customer and TM by the way, not 2017.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is my Studio TM so slow?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search