How to exclude string from segment?
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 01:44
Feb 7, 2017

I have an SDLXLIFF containing segments that all nearly always end with the same field string.

Which app should I use to exclude trailing field codes from segments like:

eohg9kcr6sy9emy1ruld.png

I'd like to either convert them to a tag (code) or to resegment the SDLXLIFF so that I get segments without the field codes.

Thanks!

Hans

[Edited at 2017-02-07 07:36 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
There is a special plugin for that... Feb 7, 2017

...the author is Paul Filkin who also has published very useful articles about Studio. Alas I don't remember the name, if so I will link you.

[EDIT]
I don't think it's this one, but take a look under 'Replace', maybe it can do what you want.
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/09/25/the-sdlxliff-toolkit/

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-07 15:05 GMT]

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jesse Good's Cleanup Tasks plugin Feb 7, 2017

I think Mike may be thinking of the Cleanup Tasks plugin, which you can use to convert the code into tags:

http://appstore.sdl.com/app/cleanup-tasks/550/

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Thank you Nora, yes, that's it! Feb 8, 2017

...I have confounded these 2 useful tools, also I express my excuses to Jesse for the confusion.

Mike

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot install plug-in Feb 8, 2017

Thank you Mike and Nora!

Alas, I cannot install the plug-in: it's greyed out. (Previously, I had problems installing another plug-in that should create a Glossary group in the Ribbon–so perhaps there's something wrong with my Windows.)

mlaixescyeo89wjxoemj.png

I'm running my Windows 8.1 in a VMware Virtual Machine as an admin:

zyha1fxqtwvugttmxm3t.png

When I right-click and choose open:

idi5ckmyyuettgu2d7kd.png

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Removed older Studio versions Feb 8, 2017

So I've removed older Studio versions, to avoid possible conflicts between versions:

qrsz1cnmortdjrbz4uma.png

When I run the installer for the plug-in, I still cannot check the box for Studio 2017:

seyezqb2whwlx6v8fwup.png

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Admin Feb 8, 2017

Although the SDL Plugin Management tool doesn't provide a way to install plug-ins (only to remove them), I've configured it to always run with Admin permissions:

syi2syukfqcrtg7qwsjc.png

And:

vlqfqdlwha9msxzo8kfi.png

Alas, this doesn't allow me to check the greyed out box either.

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Folder for plug-ins Feb 8, 2017

Here's a screenshot of the folder containing the plug-ins. Should I remove any folders for previous versions?

o2us6w89oexceyfjbkan.png

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Community Feb 8, 2017

That's unfortunate. I have no idea what would fix that, but my suggestion would be to also ask in the SDL Community: xl8.one.

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Very disappointing Feb 8, 2017

I wanted to exclude the virtualisation as the culprit so I installed Studio 2017 on an HP Pavilion with Windows 10. I'm using an Admin account. Then I installed the plug-in–and guess what!

Same issue in the fresh installation. So, why isn't it possible to install the plug-in?

[Edited at 2017-02-08 13:28 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Bug Feb 8, 2017

The developer of the plug-in writes:

imngu9zkqzvcdga3w8bh.png

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Halfway Feb 8, 2017

So I'm halfway now: I've removed Studio 2017 from the Pavilion and installed it again. This time I made sure that I didn't install the latest update. Now I was able to install the plug-in. I took screenshots and copied the contents of the folder to a USB stick. This way I can copy the files to the appropriate folders in my VMware virtual machine.

For the record, here are the screenshots, perhaps they are useful for somebody else:

mfflkoeitiynkhwbfvax.pngh4txob6kaaqhgropebwg.pngyhp6axezh0owojanjjug.pngkroefiooeyqydumxhcda.png

Conclusion: It wasn't an issue with permissions or the virtualisation. It was a bug in the installer.

[Edited at 2017-02-08 14:32 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Great plug-in Feb 8, 2017

Jesse's app is just great! Exactly what I wanted:

z7f2uc30bybbkpvyah3y.png

Took some time to install this plug-in, but hey, it was worth it.

Nevertheless, it would be nice if SDL would be active here again. https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity is a little overwhelming.

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
/SOLVED Feb 9, 2017

SDL released an update for Studio 2017 that fixes the plug-in installer:

uqcejaruc6gnwq5ss0hj.png

Case closed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to exclude string from segment?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search