Thread poster: Liny

Liny  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:03
English to French
+ ...
Feb 7, 2017

Dear all,

I really don't know if it's possible... And I was wondering if any of you had already experienced this situation before.

One of my new clients requires Wordfast in order to start a collaboration. They do not provide a licence and my CAT tool is SDL Trados 2014.

I'm really interested by this new job opportunity, but I already invested in Trados and I don't want to invest more in another CAT tool.
I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to Trados. But I wanted to know if there was any way to work with Wordfast files using Trados...
Is it possible to convert (without any compatibility problem) sdlxliff Trados files to TXML Wordfast files, and vice versa for instance?

Thanks a lot!

Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:03
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 3 Feb 7, 2017

Wordfast Pro 3 can be used for free and is almost fully functional in free mode for an indefinite period of time. There are a couple of limitations, though. Firstly, you may not exceed 500 translation units in any one active TM, but if you exceed the limit, you can create another local TM. This limitation does not concern the size of a file. A txml file may have hundreds of segments, but you can still import it in Wordfast Pro and edit the file without committing segments into a TM because of a 500-segment limit.
Secondly, you may not connect remote TMs. Otherwise, the program is fully functional. You don't have to invest in it and you can use it for any txml-based projects.
If this does not interest you, I am sure there's an app for handling txml files in Studio in SDL AppStore.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Liny Feb 7, 2017

Liny wrote:
One of my new clients requires Wordfast in order to start a collaboration.

There are a few things WFP can do that Trados can't, but generally you should be able to translate the TXML files in Trados without any problem. You won't be able to generate a TransCheck report, but Trados' own QA report should be acceptable to the client. You will not be able to convert the TXML file to the original format. I don't think you'll be able to add comments to the TXML file, and it may be that you won't be able to read existing comments either.

Is it possible to convert (without any compatibility problem) SDLXLIFF Trados files to TXML Wordfast files, and vice versa for instance?

You can't convert from TXML to SDLXLIFF or vice versa.

However, you can open TXML in Trados as a translatable file (Trados will then create an SDLXLIFF file for it). And after you're done with the translation, use Trados to save the target file (which will be a TXML file that your client should be able to process).

I have no idea how glossaries work in Trados, so I don't know how to convert Wordfast glossaries for use in Trados. Wordfast TMs can be converted to TMX using the tool mentioned here, and Trados can import/export TMX files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert xliff files into txml files (and vice versa) using Trados

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search