Object reference not set to an instance of an object - converting to sdlxliff, Studio 2014
Thread poster: Maria Pyatkova

Maria Pyatkova
Germany
Local time: 19:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2017

Hi guys,

I have a problem converting a docx-file into translatable Format. It is a normal text with couple of pictures and schemes, nothing special.
While trying to convert it, there is this error message and the converting stops.

I have tried already
- closing and opening Trados, restarting the computer
- Solutions described here http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4984.html

Doesn't work!

I cant even start to translate and its an urgent job.

Please help me, Im desperateicon_frown.gif

I have Studio 2014 SP2 11.2.4435.12

Masha

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:57
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi. Have you tried uninstalling SDL? Feb 7, 2017

It did work for me some time ago.

Good luck.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
For a possible workaround... Feb 8, 2017

Hi Maria,
I don't know the exact cause of this happening during import (otherwise I would tell you to reset the window layout in editor), but I guess your original docx has some anomaly that Trados cannot read correctly - and therefore not import. As a workaround I would save the docx in a previous Word format (doc) and import this one. It's a workaround, not a solution of course.

Greets,
Mike

Maria Pyatkova
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 8, 2017

Dear Mike and Paulinho,
thank you for your suggestions.

Mike, yes, it doesnt come to the Editor-Window because I cant convert and open the document, so obviously I couldnt renew the Editor-Layout.
I have tried a number of things because I also assumed that the problem was in the document. So I found out that if I delete one diagram then it works. So probably I will have to translate this diagram manually.

What is astonishing is that when I tried to convert the same document on my laptop, where Trados is also installed, it converted and read it without any problems!! This is really confusing..

So luckily I can do my translation now, but the problem is not solved completely. It would be great to understand why Trados is or not able to work with the document depending on the computer it is used on.
And I really have no idea what was wrong with this diagram - it was just a normal flow chart, made in Word - and why, again, my desktop couldnt deal with it, whereas the laptop could.

So if anyone has ideas on this, you are very welcome.

Thanks again for responses

[Edited at 2017-02-08 09:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object - converting to sdlxliff, Studio 2014

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search