Thread poster: Piero Intonti

Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2017

Hello everyone,

I have received a Word file to be translated containing 5 columns. The client tells me to translate only the fourth column. The file is very long with many repetitions. I obviously noticed that Trados 2015 reads all the five columns and that is particularly tedious when I have to auto-propagate translations. Is there a possibility to exclude the other columns and allowing Trados to read only the right ( to be translated) one ?
I attach a snapshot.
Thanks in advance.

Piero

hozezwbnifedyu59rkh8.png

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:41
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Save a copy Feb 15, 2017

I always save a copy with only source and target columns and once you are done translating and "save target as", copy the translated cells back into the original.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:41
English to Russian
Hide the text Feb 15, 2017

Press Ctrl+A to selact all.
Press Ctrl+Shift+H to hide all.
Select all column 4 and press Ctrl+Shift+H again to unhide column 4.
With column 4 only unhidden, save the file and open in Studio.
NB. Remember to hide or treat the footer and the header accordingly, if any.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 20:15 GMT]

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hide the text you don't want to translate Feb 15, 2017

For your document, select columns 1-3 and pres Ctrl+Shift+H, then select column 5 and pres the same key combination. By doing this, only column 4 will be imported into Trados for translation.

When you finish the translation and have created the final document, open it and repeat the same process with the same key combination to unhide the text. Save the file and you're done.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Tables are for EXCEL, pure text and paragraphs are for WORD Feb 16, 2017

A Word file made of a table is not a conventional Word file. It should be designed and edited in Excel because of its special table functions.
What I would do is: copy-paste the whole table in a empty Excel file, save it; then import the file in Trados chosing Bilingual Excel where you can chose which column is the source, which column is the target. Everything else will not even be imported, and what has already been translated will appear so in your imported document, before import you can assign such translated rows the status 'Locked' or 'Translated' and they will appear as such segments after import.

When you are finished, copy everything in a empty Word file again and ask your client to send you tables using MS Excel next time.
If you have a Ferrari picture in your Tesla car, then your car is not a Ferrari...

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-16 00:25 GMT]

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:41
English to Russian
Kidding? Feb 16, 2017

Doing so you just add a good number of steps. Copy to Excel, assign bilingual excel, copy from excell to word... Why?
Just leave one column unhidden and it will do exactly the same things without all those extra steps.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Less tags... Feb 16, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Doing so you just add a good number of steps. Copy to Excel, assign bilingual excel, copy from excell to word... Why?
Just leave one column unhidden and it will do exactly the same things without all those extra steps.

Ok, in my last sentence I was in fact kidding, but there is another reason to use Excel: Word files with tables will produce a lot of unnecessary tags, wheras the Bilingual Excel will produce very few (and most of them related to color changes). This must have to do with the good design of this file type import, in other CAT tools this may differ.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-16 02:41 GMT]

Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful suggestions Feb 16, 2017

Hello !

thanks a lot to all for your kind suggestions.

They have been very useful.

Piero

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

reading only one part/column of the text

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search