Thread poster: roberta formisano

roberta formisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2017

Hello everybody!

I am using Trados 2017 (newbie I admit!) for packages from an agency. Same field but different TM each time, so when I find words or segments that I have translated for a previous text I'm not able to retrieve them and I lose a lot of time. Is there a way to create a TM gathering all those (server based) from previous projects?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Roberta

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Create a special TM for these projects and link it to each new project Feb 16, 2017

If you go into the project settings, you can add extra TMs to a project, even if it's a package from your agency. I do this all the time. When I'm finished with the project, I export it to my local TM so that I can leverage ut for future projects.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:50
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Add your own tm Feb 16, 2017

I am not sure I understand your complete set-up, but normally you create and use your own TM, regardless of what you get from clients. So, if you work with a server-based tm or a packaged tm that you will return, you also have your own local tm (field-based or general) to which you save your segments. Hope that helps.

roberta formisano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 16, 2017

Thank you Roy and Lianne for your kind reply.

I think I got it, when I receive a package, going to project settings> TM I can:

1-add my personal file-based translation memory, so that during the translation I can store all the units in it too.

2- create a file-based TM for each project and at the end export it to my personal file-based TM.

I only hope I can open a server and a file based TM at the same time with Trados 2017 Starter edition :S

Anyway, I appreciate both your very useful answers!

Thanks a lot again,

Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a TM from server based TM

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search