How can I translate a Macro-Enabled Excel file?
Thread poster: RhondaSherwood
Feb 16, 2017

Hi - Can anyone tell me how to translate a Macro-Enabled Excel workbook, so that Trados retains formatting while also translating things like drop-down menus, and keep automatically populated fields and such?

Thanks,
Rhonda

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 01:51
Italian to German
+ ...
Localization or translation? Feb 16, 2017

Hi,
someone more expert than me will correct me if I'm wrong, but you are talking here about 2 different things: Localization with special software and Translation with a CAT tool.

Localization:
Drop-down menus and other program-relevant text is not located in common editable files like MS Office files, but in binary files, *.exe files, *.dll files etc. that are part of the program. In order to read and extract translatable content from such files you need special localization software like Passolo, but maybe Trados Studio has some limited file type filters for that, but I don't know right now.

Translation with a CAT tool:
Here a variety of file types can be imported in the Editor of Trados Studio, translatable text can be translated and exported back into these exact file types.
If your text of the drop-down menus etc. are listed in a Excel file, then you can chose which column will be imported as source and target by chosing the Bilingual Excel file type. For that, in your project settings, you must move the position of the bilingual Excel type before the normal Excel file type, so that Trados will know to chose that one.

I hope this will somehow answer your questions.
Greetings,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I translate a Macro-Enabled Excel file?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search